Sears Auto

simple is better. i see failing business all around and middle management that over complicates it… i know in my line of work they are thinking way too much into things… there is difference between analyzing numbers and micro managing because of those numbers… People that go to college for business a lot of times try to come in and preach what some liberal ass bag taught them…they lose real world concepts and only think in their textbook worlds.

if your line of work requires that math then you should take those classes but if you are gonna be a history teacher, psychologist, fireman, etc what do you need that for? you should be able to choose your path in school towards a career degree not a degree in school of XXXXX.

You have to have a MBA to analyze numbers?

I use algebra, physics, statistics, and geometry in my every day life at work.

l33t sp34k is not algebra. :stick:

I bet a lot of people can’t figure out their gas mileage, how to get the correct ratio of gas/oil for a two stroke, build a deck, etc. because of the math. In my opinion more than 4th grade math is necessary for everyday life. And some basic geometry and algebra can be handy - not absolutely necessary, but handy.

And I see your points about the non-essential classes. I can understand colleges wanting to make students well rounded, but some of it does seem useless. Luckily I was able to avoid most of the humanities courses!

I bet you would use some geometry if you wanted to figure out the area under the curve on a dyno plot. You mean everyone doesn’t do that? :confused: :smiley:

And to get back to the Sears job, you would think that a job requiring more than everyday skills would pay a little better than that. Being competetive is important, but if you start having shitty service, you aren’t going to be competetive anyway.

I’ve used the writing and analytical skills I learned in college to great benefit in my professional life. If you can’t understand why these skills are important, or what benefit they have…well, yeah.

as of right now there are no new mechanics coming into the field and there lies the reason. who seriously wants to do this for a living, i ask myself that every day

if i told you what i made, what i am capable of and what my certifications are… you’d fucking laugh your ass off, it’s not quite that bad but it sickens me to see my paycheck. oh well, i do one thing and that’s fuck with cars

You use both everyday, Just don’t know it. Common sense all it is.

I use it. Will this load shift on truck placed on X spot. can my 60,000 pound winch drag up a dumpster weighing 30,000 pounds at a certain degree of angle ? seems like a yes answer, but have to figure in terrain, truck angle, truck length, dumpster height hitting overhead power lines. etc. common sense. have it or you don’t. sure 60,000 pound winch sounds great pulling a 30,000 pound dumpster. Everything has to add up to make it work. If on a incline, will i run out of fuel from the truck being shifted to one side and cant pump/suck enough fuel. 1/2 tank of fuel will be empty on gauge.

Will be a ass calling your boss, " hey i ran out of fuel " can’t get this load on. take an hour to get it restarted. ( no never happened to me ) but a co-worker yes.

meanwhile have 40 gallons of fuel on level ground that just shifted to 1 tank on the incline angle …
You use algebra / geometry everyday.

Yes sir

Do you have any skills besides moving some furniture around and hearing b2’s break sound barriers? Do you have any formal education?

Fucking kids these days want to do nothing and get paid a lot to do it.

and seriously, how much money should they pay someone to swap a battery or remove a few bolts to replace a strut or shock? If you are a real mechanic who does more than basic everyday maintenance, you can make a lot of money. My uncle makes very good money as a mechanic.

Actually moving household across the nation can be a 100K+ job. Without an “education”.
Spend 3-7k for a 3-4 week cdl training :rofl:

which one because i know 2 guys that work at north hills , and the one makes 11 per hour and the other makes 14

Beneficial yes, mandatory for success, no.

in the four years I should have been in college going towards a business related degree I managed a hotel front desk, managed a hotel’s recreation and pool department, started my OWN company and grew it into a $250,000 in sales business inside of 2 years.

You think I didn’t learn any skills doing all that?

http://www.classzone.com/etest/getExhibit.htm?exhibitId=86877

http://www.classzone.com/etest/getExhibit.htm?exhibitId=86855

http://www.classzone.com/etest/getExhibit.htm?exhibitId=157392

Solve the above test questions, and explain to me again why you need to know HOW to solve them and the benefit being able to do so has on your life.

Simple geometry is common sense. Actually most of geometry is pretty damn easy. You need to know a couple laws and a couple formulas and you can figure out most things.

Algebra and Calculus are memorizing a bunch of formulas that you will ever, EVER need to know unless you’re going into a very specific field. That shit pisses me off to no end.

what about all these kids that come out of wyotech, most of them will have 50 grand in debt and they are qualified for a 7.50 an hour job… sounds like a great career choice

don’t get me started on wyotech, that’s gotta be the biggest scam going on right now

Weird, my head techs make 30-40 an hour.
They must suck in PA.