selling car out of state?

either my searching ability sucks or it hasnt been asked. Plenty of posts about buying but nothing i could find about selling.

anyway, I finally think i have someone to buy the cav bucket, but he lives in OH. He wants me to meet him part way but would possibly meet in PA and claims he’ll have cash.

Other than the obvious, what things do I need to look out for? If he shows with actual cash is there anything that can bite me in the ass? If he shows with a cashiers check, am I not opening myself upto a possible fraudulant check? At that point he would have the car and title, and I probably wouldn’t find out from the bank if the check bounced for at least a few days, possibly 2 weeks.

He seems genuinely interested, but I just want to make sure I cover my ass on this. I will find out for sure how he intends to pay before meeting.

any input is appreciated…

just make sure he has CASH …

but he could also be a no show,show up and tell ya he dont want it,try to low ball ya …

the options on how you can get fucked by meeting someone to buy are limitless

If I was going to travel, 1st I’d require a paypal depost. Do not accept a cashiers check because you’re right about the chance of it being fake. I’d make sure to take your plates and registration sticker off before he takes it with him. Some states require a title to be Notarized too I think.

I had a similar situation when I sold my Talon. We decided it would be better if he got a ride up here and temporarily registered the car in NY and drove it back.

Unless he’s going to trailer it from the location you two meet, or you two meet at a DMV, he will need some sort of temporary tag to be able to legally drive it, not to mention insurance. If he’s meeting up with you to “look at it,” it doesn’t sound like he would do this before seeing it. So I’d see what he’s willing to do and how serious he is about the car.

My suggestion, tell him everything wrong/right about the car and get him to agree if it is as described then he will take the car. I’d ask for a deposit and tell him it is refundable if everything was not as described (which it will be). Then you two can work out the logistics of transfering the car.

Definitely make sure he understands its a cash transaction.

all good points, thanks guys!!