NY Guy buying a car in Rural PA

What do I need to know about the process?

I have read that PA requires a Notary. Is that true for private sales?

Will NY require that or just a standard bill of sale and signed title?

Thanks

I bought a car in PA private sale for cash without a notary. Just left with the car on a dolly, title and bill of sale then went to NY DMV paid my fees and got a NY title in the mail. This was quite a few years ago and may have changed though.

@JayS are you sure? My last PA title (or registration, I can’t remember which it’s called there) couldn’t be signed to transfer without a notary present. This was 2 years ago.

• Updated - - -

I remember the back of the title / reg actually having a spot for a notary. So @2TurboZ just check the back of the “ownership” document to see what it says.

How hard is it to find a Notary on a saturday afternoon in rural PA?

I bought from a dude in a pretty rural area. We drove to some lady’s house and had her do it. She did it on the side for extra cash.

The person you’re buying from should know, and they should know where to do this if needed… one would assume.

the real question is, what are you buying next?

A beautiful foxbody mustang.

Sadly I am helping a friend go pick it up for himself, but I hate having my time wasted because he still has a flip phone and doesnt know what google is (serious BTW)

This was my experience.

I actually just bought a car from rural PA (Lancaster County…Amish country) and drove it back on PA temp plates with the title and bill of sale. NYS DMV took everything, I paid my taxes, title fee and registration and I had plates on my car that day.

Super easy to do.

But did you buy private party? And did you need a notary?

Maybe there is a notary exception for the Amish, lol.

I bought it through a small dealership who notarized there

I wonder if for a private sale purchase you could just go to a small dealer, throw them some cash, and get a notary stamp.

I will find out tomorrow.

Many UPS stores have notary services if you’re in a pinch.

Mine was 10+ years ago so who knows.

LotusJoe? I didn’t know he had a thing for ponies?

Just went down to Pittsburgh at the end of September with my dad to pick up a car. Dealer handled everything and we drove back on temp plates without an issue. I would think though that private party might be a bit different then. Probably would help to find a notary to be safe.

I went to a lady’s house, she signed it all over and gave me temp tags to get home on.

Drove 4.5 hours to identify the car was misrepresented in the ad within 5 minutes. Drove 4.5 hours home. Ice storm hit the moment I stepped out of the truck at home.

Wasted day.