server/networking question

So I’d like to take an older machine and use it for a music/photo server to free up room/resources on my main machine (and probably to store TV shows via media center)… nothing too hardcore lol

now, I’ve never really done anything like this before… can anyone point me to a primer on setting up a basic server? I assume that “sharing” files between the two wont do exactly what I’m looking to do (someone here at work said that you have to actually copy the files from computer to computer to access them in that configuration).

I’m not a total idiot and I’m pretty fluent with PC’s and windows, just never really messed with the whole networking end of it. I have a copy of NT server BTW… so I assume that would work ok.

any help? I really don’t even know where to start… I have windows 2000 on that machine right now

thanks

win2000 is fine

:tup:

or you could try messing with a linux distro :slight_smile: (k)ubuntu is really easy

What I did that works well for my music storage is this:

Set up Windows box
Copy my music onto Windows box
Install iTunes on laptop
Map a network drive on laptop to the Windows box (takes about 2 minutes of config to be able to share a drive from the Windows box)
Add music from the network drive to iTunes on laptop

This basically means that I’m streaming all of my music over the network when I listed to it, but at RIT, that isn’t a problem. Freed up 40gb of space on my laptop and works flawlessly.

If you’re looking for a way to make this work at home, you’d need a home network that could stream the audio. I’d have to guess you have the machines (server and client) connected through a router or switch so that they can talk to each other, right? If so, that should be PLENTY of bandwidth to stream audio.

As far as storing video and photos, I find it easier to keep them locally since the file sizes are large and they don’t take well to streaming (you can’t stream a photo, it’s either all there or is loading…and most video is too high res to stream well, but it is possible). You can always dump the videos/photos on the server and when you need them, pull them down to the local machine.

windows xp fundamentals for legacy pc’s is good too

must download bit torrent and use an xp home or pro cd key

i stream vidoes over my network constantly

works fine, i stream them through my xbox from my pc in my room

It is definitely possible, but with something like DVD quality and most people’s machines, it definitely lags. I try to get actual DVD rips and those definitely aren’t stream friendly.

Could always go to gigabit and not worry about anything you push on the network. :smiley:

never had a problem with dvd rips

your network sucks

Damn, I guess I’ll try it now. I just assumed it wouldn’t work. Awaiting results…

Yeah, you’re right. Definitely works fine. Niiiiice.

ok, this is what I got from it so far

Win 2000 will work fine for a server
XP pro (media center) as client

I’m using a linksys router (thanks skurrrrrge) which should be ok. I just use regular cat cables, right? I don’t need a crossover?

now that I have all that in place, what do I need to do to set the 2K machine up to act as a server, and on that same token, what do I need to setup in XP for a client machine?

thanks alot guys :tup:

edit: I also have (k)ubuntu, but never really messed with linux, so not sure if I should go that route. I tried messing with an early version of redhat a while ago but couldnt figure it out :frowning:

stick to windows, its easier

ok, here is my suggestion

ON SERVER + CLIENT:

run through the network setup wizard, make sure that the workgroup is in all caps and that they are both the same

note the computer names

ON CLIENT:

click start->Run

type in //[computer name] (replacing where [computer name] is the name noted earlier for server and tped without brackets

this will open a window with the shares for the server

right click the folder u want to be able to access and click, map network drive

then u will see a folder in my computer with that computer’s name on it

double click and u should be able to access the files

enjoy

Autosensing switches = no use for crossover cables

thanks guys :tup: I’ll try that and let ya’s know how it turns out :slight_smile: :beer:

deffinitely do it wired. Wireless won’t like streaming so much…

Very simple, i’d do a linux box before i’d do win2k.

All you need is a file server distro.

I would stick to windows unless you’re proficient in Linux or really want to learn it. Setting everything up isn’t a big deal, but it would take some work.

i agree with brent_strong 100%

it seems easy until you run into one small problem that takes days to figure out because u dont know anything about it

dammit steve :stuck_out_tongue: i’ll just set it up for ya

gimme a call tonight i’ll be home

Use cat5e get a cheap linksys 10/100/1000 switch and two 10/100/1000 nic cards.

got it running :smiley: thanks for the help peeps :slight_smile: (now all I need is a nice 500gb hdd)