Shit....what do I do now....

So I’ve been meaning to get a Jeep Cherokee for a long time now, and I can finally afford to get one by the end of the summer. I was set on the 00-01 model because of some final refinments they had made and what not.

I know the engine/drivetrain is bulletproof on these, but the truck does have some drawbacks and weak points. Namely: rust.

The other day I was looking around online at stuff for sale and came across a Chevy Blazer 4x4 and I thought it looked kind of cool. I knew about them, but never considered them for purchased.

Anybody have any feedback on them? 1998-2005, that’s the generation I would be interested in, with the Off-Road package. I assume the GMC Jimmy is essentially the same?

Any good or bad stuff about these?

Even if you’ve never owned one, what have you heard from your mom’s sister-in-law’s cousin’s best friend’s kid?

I had a jimmy 2 door 5 speed a LONG time ago. I didn’t know anything about cars back then, but I remember driving it and it was a fun little suv.

Example

http://media.motortopia.com/files/8475/vehicle/46feab4cd2a19/tn_large_272245.jpg

im not a fan of that body style blazer, i like the old boxy ones slammed with 350’s in em. lol

but to each their own. i think that truck will serve you well…was that amongst the years with the tire recall?

hey thats amix between osad old hatch and blazer i know pl seem to love the jeep cherokee

One of my buddies had the previous gen, and then that gen. He liked the old one a lot better. The new one, things I know about it off the top of my head… steering wheel play is massive, it’s very slow yet uses stupid amounts of gas, and on his it makes loud knocking sounds when 4x4 is engaged so he drives it in RWD, unless there’s a very good reason to use 4x4.

the grand cherokee is a great truck man

100% better than the jimmy or blazer

id also strongly sudgest the gmc envoy. my parents have one and i love it

I am also in the market and I’m considering the Nissan Pathfinder 2001-2004.

I was also going to go with the Envoy but the Pathfinder does better on gas.

a distant friends owns , correct me if wrong but the ZR2 , like the one in the picture.

he has gone through the entire lineup ; from the early 90’s / late 80’s.

he was impressed, only thing he pointed out was his blind spots are horrible. as you can tell from that picture

Im a mechanic at a gm dealership

Dont ever buy a jimmy (or blazer/s-10/sonoma)…they suck!!!

everything else is pretty good tho

dont they drink 91 octane?

go with the jeep.

jimmys are awful for wearing out front end components (steering/suspension)

I sell parts at a GM dealership and I second this.

Buy the cherokee, I’ve owned 2 and My friend has owned 3 and currently owns a 2000 Classic, fully loaded. Solid axles and a tried, tested and true powertrain with no bullshit - Plus its lighter (unit body)

also opt for an automatic, the tranny in them is damn near indestructable. However the 5 speed AX-15 uses brass syncros that as time goes on it gets damn near impossible to shift.

Okay then, it’s just the one I saw is a 2001, like the one in the picture, fully loaded with sunroof, AC and whatnot for 5500$ but get this, it has 90,000km!!! Mint body, not a spot of rust! Anyways, I doubt I’ll get it…

I’ve also been looking for a suv/ 4x4 for winter use now. But I have found the same issues the american jeeps rust like mad all and generally fall apart after 5 years. Im looking for something like a suzuki sameri 4x4 1.3l ftw on gas!

i drive a white 96 4door blazer wit 327000km on it

still runs awesome, no leaks whatsoever…
i think that they all look the same…

what about the massive Toyota Sequoias?? V8 must be a bitch gas

i like the 4Runners too

If its in your budget, the new honda pilots for the 09 year are ballin. Very cushy nice interior and the v6 and v8 it comes with has that smart cylinder bullshit so when you’re cruisin its a 4 banger but when the time comes you it’ll just start running on all 6 or 8 again.

I appreciate the input, but seeing as I am looking at 7 year old GMs and Jeeps for 5-7k, what makes you think I have 50,000$ for a big piple of ugly crap like the Pilot?