shocks and struts

just wondering what kind of experiences people have had with their suspension. Im currently looking at 3 different shocks/struts. 1 monroe sensa-trac, 2 kyb gr2/agx dunno which one, 3 tokico hp. let me know any positive or negative feedback you guys have had with these.

i m running kyb gr2 and skunk2 springs. it is bouncy but good enough for a dd. its close to stock levels of comfort but a good upgrade over stock. its not 2 harsh, hence suitable for a daily drive, however if u r looking for performance go with kyb agx or koni yellow in which u can adjust damping. I was thinking of using tokico hp but ended up with gr2. I wouldn’t trust monroes.

I’ve ran on AGX and they were complete trash compared to the monroe’s I’m currently using and since Im so pleased with the sensa trac vs the AGX, I’ll never buy another set of KYB’s again.

Kyle,

Were you ever in Jeff’s car when he got the springs/shocks from me?

He is using the Monroe’s and H&R springs. I had absoluely no problems at all when I had them and I don’t think Jeff has any yet either.

The Monroe’s are surprisingly very good for what they are. No bounce, soft when not pushing it and when you do push it they stiffen up instantly.

Andrew a.k.a KA24Power has a set of I think new…Eibach springs at his place in St.Jacobs. I saw them myself and they are super clean, leading me to believe that they are new. I think he isn’t looking for much for them.

hahahaha

I was writing a post when you sneaked in and got it in.

lol… yeah i talked to andrew already. im gonna pick up those springs some time this week. but now im stuck on shocks/struts. i think im leaning towards tokico hp. they seem to be pretty reasonably priced. not sure how bouncy they are tho.

Yeah avoid KYB, i’m super pissed that 3 for 3 of my new struts blew. I KNOW they were installed correctly they just suck. the supplier refuses to compensate me too because I installed myself and they dont’ believe me that all 3 blew.

Don’t end up spending double because the first ones suck, haha.

so many KYB haters, haha. i’ve had KYB AGX on my second 240 (with H&R springs) and my talon (with Tien springs) and probably the same set of AGX’s with H&R springs on the 240 i’m assembling right now. i really like them and they haven’t done my any wrong yet.

well i hate the GR-2’s right now :slight_smile: haha

Brendan do you have a set of MINT stock rear struts on any of your cars?

i don’t know about mint, but i have at least 2 sets of stock suspension. you’re welcome to come take a look at them if you like.

Has anybody combined the Sensa-tacs with eibachs? like 1 1/2" drop? How are eibachs for the 240s?

Tokico Shocks are actually pretty good a friend of mine had them for al year round use REally comfortable and sporty to.

whoa havn’t check this thread for a few days… just picked up the monroe sensa-trac. I was looking on ebay at the tokicos, they are around $325 shipped. but i bought the monroes cause i was worried about if i had any problems with the tokicos, i would have to ship them back. with the monroes i can just take them back to crappy tire. plus they were 25% off. hey andrew did you get that spring off yet? i ready to do my suspension this weekend. just give me a call and ill come by.

I dislike the AGX simply because their adjustability sucks. All they offer is dampening control so they are either stiff, or stiffer. Rebound does not come into play with the AGX and there for as you increase the stiffness the rebound stays the same.

From a handling point of view. S13 owners already know they are bad for under steer and personally I felt the AGX made it worse if anything because they were always to stiff from the dampening with not enough rebound. And the only way to even remotely deal with it was to run the fronts set @ 1 with the rears set @ 8 which was extremely uncomfortable to drive.

So I got rid of the AGX and went back to my stock struts/shocks until I got the monroes from Nick and goddamn was I ever impressed because the first thing I noticed was the under steer was not near as bad. So I then went with a bit more camber in the front and it got even better which is another bonus the Monroe has over the KYB is their camber adjustable where as the KYB is not.

Cost, Monroe wins as their cheaper and still offer a lifetime warranty. Overall Features Monroe wins again as the Sensa Trac blows the AGX out of the water. When you buy the AGX, your buying the KYB name and that is all. Performance wise they suck on the S13 atleast.

Either way… some Stance GR+ Pro Coilovers will be going on soon enough to see how they can compare :wink:

monroe’s arent built for lowerd cars. the valving inside cant not handle the load of the lowering springs.by lowering ur car u’ve changed the valving around which equals less room to travel. tokico would of been ur best bet.

im to lazy to read what everyone else said but.

kyb gr2 are stock replacemnt DO NOT LOWER you will blow them
coilover are where its at. id rather coilovers then 600 hp.

well we’ll just have to see what happens… im just looking for bellows/bump stops as mine are totally ripped apart. one i have everything ill install and let everyone know how it rides.

Then sir what you need are double adjustable dampers. You get what you pay for. Do you honestly expect to pay 550$ish + 200ish for springs whatever for some dampers and get individual rebound and compression adjustability that DOES something (most japanese coilovers that even have double adjustability don’t do jack shit if you dyno them).

I run KYB AGX with s-tech springs and they are fine. They have not blown on me. Been a year since I’ve been using them. I will be selling them soon, only because I will be goin to a custom setup.

You are asking a little too much out of a 550$ + springs + shipping/whatever setup. The adjustability is fine for what it is, imho, but you are right it is not ‘perfect’ or great… but your expectations are astounding for the price. Just like megan racing/ex number of taiwanese colorful coilovers, their adjustability ALSO sucks but you think they make a difference in dampening each time you try to adjust their ‘36 way’ whatever adjustments.

KYB AGX + Stech are plenty for autox/track and daily driving, unless you start being more demanding… then son you gotta pay the dineros, and you get what you pay for. I would run a bit stiffer springs with GCs, maybe 300-350lbs/inch ish spring rates and be fine with it. The car feels great with the max settings, but then the problem becomes more so for daily driving than anything else, it would become skittish on bumpy roads… but on smooth surfaces it kicks ass. Would be great if they had individual rebound and compression dampening but alas, nope. Even koni yellows, if you want doulbe adjustability you gotta pay for it to be built it. But you know what, they work (much better than KYB AGX or your average Megan racing-whatever taiwanese coilovers)

Edit: If I was suggesting someone to build a serious budget setup I would tell them to build a Koni Yellow + GC kit over any other taiwanese 36way whatever coilover or KYB/monroe/tokico/whatever.

For the entry budget KYB AGX+Stech is great to get you going. It indeed is the cheapest setup with some adjustability. There is of course cheaper but it won’t be adjustable. Essentially KYB AGX+Stech is an overall compromise. You get adjustability, you get lowering ability, you get slightly better than stock perofrmance, a little bit of everything. Double adjustability + cheap = does not exist if you want it to work.

Also don’t think Stances are be all end all coilovers. Once on dynos, they suck too, they are just a bit better, less skittish than megan racing/rest of taiwan-r-us dampers.

Don’t get me wrong but this is the reality, the lie that has been cast over most of the ‘jdm’ eyes of the 240 communities.

If you want quality that works get KONIs, Ohlins, ADS, motons, penskes, etc… but I highly doubt any one on son240 will care, be able to understand, afford or know how to use/setup any of these and most would think it is unnecessary or only for racing or only think someone who gets it will get it to show off his JDM tight car or some other ludicrous idea haha. Can you believe that there are people with Bilsteins running 12kg/mm springs and they are more comfortable than your megan/stance/kts/godspeed/colorful coilovers with alot less spring rates? Well it’s true :slight_smile:

I’m a firm believer in the cheap, reliable, fast formula. You can only have two within the formula.

Cheap + reliable = Slow
Reliable + fast = Expensive
Cheap + fast = Not reliable

well ive been riding on these monroes sensa-trac/eibach springs for just over a week now. I am very happy with the outcome. Although 3 out of 4 shocks that i took out were completely blown. this setup rides very nice as a daily driver. Not bouncy at all, not too soft either. for the price, they are pretty damn good. two thumbs up.

"I’m a firm believer in the cheap, reliable, fast formula. You can only have two within the formula.

Cheap + reliable = Slow
Reliable + fast = Expensive
Cheap + fast = Not reliable"

Can you explain why you had to mention this in your long ass post? I don’t understand how fast/slow would apply to this topic. I’m aware of the concept and believe that it’s related more towards servicing/labour. I just find your post very redundant and I so sick of seeing “KYB AGX + Stech”. What’s so special about Stech’s. They’re springs. Although specs might differ here and there, it’s not like Tein builds better springs than Eibach, H&R, etc.

Stance ref: “Once on dynos, they suck too, they are just a bit better, less skittish than megan racing/rest of taiwan-r-us dampers.”

First of all, out of all brands you mentioned, which ones have you actually tried out yourself and which dampers have you actually seen dyno plots for? While your assumptions and perceptions seem fine, I still find it pretty bold of you to basically state “get this” or “get that”. You don’t seem to talk about factors that ACTUALLY contribute to quality differences between manufacturers…basically why you have to pay the extra premium to get the good shit. Instead, you use sketchy terms like “skittish” to describe your own personal experiences, which makes it hard for people like to really believe you have 1) tried them out yourself or 2) actually seen comparable data between products. Overall, I’m not saying I disagree with what you posted, I’m just frustrated with the way you present things, and the amount of time other people have to waste to deal with your BS…ahmed.

So if you’re going to try to be technical, make sure you don’t post misleading info. Save that shit for yourself.