Skilled Trades

I second that… think of it as a free gym membership… If I’m off work (as I was for 3 months recently with a sports injury), I start getting one of those flabby tummy’s, my belts get really tight and I feel like crap.

I’m a Millwright, and looking at your first post, when you say that you have experience in all different types of work, Millwright would be a great choice. You can specialize in something, but most Millwright jobs would be like a factory maintenance type of thing, which is a great place to serve your apprenticeship, but when you get your ticket, you could choose to get into something more specialized in an area you have found to be something cool for you.

I worked as a maintenance guy at a zinc foundry for 4 years and learned a ton of things (electrical, machining, die and mold repair, piping, welding fabricating, hydraulics, conveying systems, drive systems). Once i wrote my ticket, I found a job with an overhead crane service company. I have been there for almost 8 years and have been a lead hand for 6 yrs. having a company truck and tons of freedom, great benifits (something you pay big bucks for if you’re self employed), and a good wage.

I would definitely check this out as I would have to say it is one of the most versatile trades you can have.