Apprenticeship - looking for employer

Hi Sonners

Im applying for a apprenticeship program at Centennial College for Automotive Technician

Im looking for an employer that is willing to teach me the art of the automotive industry.

Im a very quick learner, and I already have a fair amount of knowledge/skill towards this profession.

Preferably a shop thats in Scarborough/Markham/Richmondhill area or Oakville/Burlington.

Thank you,
Gavin Yung

(647) 400 - 6806
gavin.yung@gmail.com

if you get into autobody i can help you in a heartbeat.

care to elaborate?

i’m a national manager for CARSTAR automotive Canada and i can probably place any qualified person in any province of Canada at virtually anytime.

case in point, Dan (happy240sx / U2N) is now a regional manager for CARSTAR as of a few months ago. See this thread: http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46073&highlight=carstar

I also filled the same position in alberta and have put at least 6 SON guys into various CARSTAR’s across Ontario.

Moreover, i can provide insight into which locations are better to work in and i can direct the resume to the franchisee and the regional manager directly… that regional manager may very well be Dan in fact.

I would be more than happy to place aspiring autobody techs and painters anywhere, any time. The mechanical side is tougher… plus… i think you can make more in autobody… there are guys in Ontario that pull 6 figures as techs and in alberta its even more.

I had a potential lead to perhaps get an apprenticeship in autobody but didn’t see it as that lucrative. Damn, I may have to change my mind lol.

it’s not always… only if you’re a workhorse and very talented.

Any good senior tech working full time in a good shop should earn $60k+

For reference, good painters make well over 6 figures…if I was a young buck…I’d be going that route.

It all depends on the owner of that specific shop and how much he’s willing to pay you.

I know for REALLY good adjusters, you’d be capped off at about 60gs-ish and this is words of wisdom from a few I met when I was trying to enter this industry.

For body men and being really experienced with 10-15yrs, I’ve heard it wasn’t as good as it used to be. 6 figures in Southern Ontario isn’t realistic. I’ve talked to body men at one of the biggest CARSTAR locations that have been in the industry for 15yrs + and they aren’t anywhere close to it. 60-80k MAX (and they put in approx 50-60hrs a week iirc), and they are always the ones who start shit and get fed up with management. (Partial owners of the store weren’t pulling in THAT much either, so don’t think you’ll get a lot more than them)

I think if you were really talented but a young buck, you will definitely make money, but in a very slow pace. They will feed you a few $ to keep you attracted and try to extend that as much as possible. Probably start out making 30-35k for the first 2yrs, go to 40k after 3-5 etc etc (it all depends what you specialize in)

Not saying the industry isn’t good to enter, but don’t be naive and think you will make 50-60k within 5 years. I personally was trying to go into this industry but after talking with VERY talented guys with 15+ yrs experience, they only make 60k (although they are only appraisers), and iirc the body men were making 60-80K MAX.

Definitely a good trade if you can work yourself to the bone for 15yrs + and try and achieve a 60-80k salary.

I personally chose to pull out and join the largest financial institution in Canada.

It all depends which shop, where it’s located and such.

Just don’t think you’ll be making $$$ fast, it will definitely be a long time. Give it a chance though, I’m sure Bing will take care of you.

there are alot of techs and painters in the GTA earning $80k+

of course if youdont want to work for it you wont get there… and that is true of any industry, not just auto body and mechanical.

plenty of guys come up through the technical side, move into ownership and become quite successful.

I hope you started buying a shit load of tools. I prefer MAC over Snap-On but whatever floats your boat. Centennial College Ashtonbee Campus is a sausagefest by the way and the snap on guy is a dickhead that doesnt know anything about tools.

hahaha^^ anyone who’s attended there can vouch for that… SAUSAGE to the max… lol my advice… bring pictures of girls to school with you to keep you sane.

They are probably earning 80k, but putting 60hrs a week to earn that.

So it’s not like they are working normal 37.5hrs a week to earn 80k…

Normal? You fairy.

that’s not normal.

That’s about double the average income for around the average time invested per week. less than 5% of people can do that. And i’ll bet that fewer than 0.50% of guys under 35 without professional designations or doctorates are doing that.

shops that pay their guys for the work they bill for, i cant remember if that is straight time or flat rate, have techs that earn big $$$. The hours are flex… some guys work nights and weekend instead of during the day.

I am sure there are at least a dozen guys in the CARSTAR network in Southern Ontario pulling in more than $100k… probably mostly painters though.

lol +1 for mac tools.

Hows 37.5hrs a week not normal? That’s a normal 8hr day and being paid for 7.5hrs x 5days = 37.5hrs.

I’m just saying ya, they may be earning 80k but they are putting 1.5x more hrs than what the norm is for working hrs, which is 37.5hrs/week.

I could pull in 80k too if I worked 80hrs in a week…

It’s all about proportion…just don’t get tied up with the numbers of 60-80k and be like oh snap I should jump in this industry because it’s good money.

Yes it’s good money, but you gotta invest a LOT of time 10-15yrs to get up to that ladder and then work 50hr weeks or more.

anyone who works less than 50hrs a week is a wuss :slight_smile:

pay is going to be based on skill and productivity, not just years. If you’re as good as a 10-15 year guy after 4-5 years you’ll get the same $ or similar. Thing is, like most trades, you always get better and faster and learn to do the more complicated work as you get more experience. No different in auto body.

What about the HVAC, Plumbing or Electrical trades? those are allways in demand, stupid pay too. My buddy is making 28$/hr 3rd year apprentice.

Another one of my close friends in Edmonton working as a steel erector he makes 29/hr 2nd year.

There is tons of trades out there! I was told when I did a mechanics co-op in highschool, “get the fuck out of this trade, its bullshit”

I rather be a wuss but spend more time and see my little boy grow up :slight_smile:

It’s true if your good at it, you can do it a lot faster or better then experienced guys. BUT, it all comes down to the owner of the shop to give you more slice of his pie in the end. If he’s willing to share then yeah, you’ll make tons. If not, your stuck in the 60-80k range for your entire career at that shop UNLESS you own a piece of the pie :slight_smile:

Like I said, from what I’ve heard the auto collision industry ain’t like it used to be where people made 6 figures easi-er.

HVAC, plumbing and electrical is way better.

My dad used to do that and made stupid money.

The reason why it’s good because it can be a 1 man show and you keep all the $$.

Autobody shops, you gotta split the pot with 10-30 guys and depend on their skills to push work.

If I had a choice, I’d learn HVAC/plumbing/electrical. Always in demand. Autobody shops are probably praying for snow or rain lol