body work apprentice

hey guys.

i have to oppurtunity to do an apprenticeship in a small auto body collison garage in my town.

has anyone done an apprenticeship like this before? if so, i do have a few questions.

im going to be paid minimum wage for starting out, then it will grow. for the most part i will be fully trained while being in and out of school.

what can one expect as a liscenced journeyman?
what are the wages like on average?

im defintley stoked to begin, although - i will say im defintly a bit weary on how far it will take me. or how much hands on work i will be able to do.

anyone have an experiences?

my buddy has

make sure they submit your apprentice papers right away, to log your hours.

he got screwed a little like this, and I believe they changed the rules recently regarding logging hours, and retro-active paperwork/hours

hmm, do tell me more. im under the impression that the garage itself is working with me on the apprenticeship.
maybe i should do some more research. haha.

the pay is good if you wanna do it for the rest of your life i do i co-op at a big body shop you usally get paid $12 starting up to $16 once your are a fully trained professonal you can expect up to $40 that takes alot of time and effort to make that money tho we have a body man that has been working there for 30 years and make $45 an hour and our painter has been painting as an apprentice for 2 years and makes over 20 bucks an hour

i guess it all depends on the location.
im very excited though. i won’t lie.

the minimum wage in ontario is 8 75

http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34886

i’ll get you way more than minimum wage.

thanks for the suggestion bing ; but im JUST starting out, im pretty much learning from scratch. they’re going to be training me from the ground up.

yeah so?

if you are not a total nut case then basically every single body shop in the country wants you and guys like you. minimum wage is silly.

you should be working in a progressive collision facility that at least has a semi-professional on-boarding process. small independents dont have that.

yeah you probally will not start at min. wage. I am doing my electricale apprenticeship and when i started i made 40% of what a journyman makes. And ever term (1800 hours for me) you get a 10% raise.

Not sure if it is the same but has to be similar for the rulse and regulations. Any questions you should call your local apprenticeship councler.

how do i start my apprenticeship? i currently go to centennial for auto tech (not body)

Carstar is a great company, i just went to the richmond hill one by bloomington to pick up my car today, and they were very professional and went out of their way to see to it that i was happy.

Matter of fact, one of the managers talked to me about my car and how one of the “higher ups” swung by earlier in the week and complimented my car [thanks bing (if you werent being sarcastic)].

The work they did was top-notch, and while talking with min-young (manager i beleive or supervisor) he told me they were getting a new young guy next week to start an apprenticeship, and they already had a young guy prepping cars for paint too!

Definetely take this oppurtunity if you’re looking into bodywork!