Skunk2 Composite Intake Manifold

http://www.skunk2.com/Engine/index2.php?prodId=imcomp&cat_id=INCOM

Something new from skunk2 interested to find out some pricing!

They’ve released a carbon fuel rail and some other interesting things lately as well. Less weight is always good, temperature resistance is good too…too much bling is never good though.

In this case bling might be good from reading a little more I read that they dyno tested there composite fuel rail and saw gains just from bolting on a fuel rail. And from reading more too after I posted it looks like they are having some difficulties with producing the manifold, sounds like it’s a bitch to produce.

IMagine the cost on those things though, the everyday tuner will not be sporting those.

I also don’t fully understand how a fuel rail (nothing more than a tube essentially) came make that much more power, just by virtue of it’s material. Who cares is it’s made from exotic materials if a simple aluminum rail with the exact same dimensions does the exact same thing. Sounds like hype to me. I need to see the physics/mechanics behind it.

after reading some HT reviews of the composite fuel rail compared to the BDL it’s hype- not worth the extra money. givin- the fuel rail/ intake combo might be a very good combo, but just the fuel rail isn’t worth the money- or so i’m told. Myself will be runing a BDL for my build

You do realize that the stock fuel rail supports a lot of power right? Aftermarket rails have limited utility in a street (even if barely) car.

exactly

i would think the gains are coming from the composite fuel keeping the temps down as opposed to an aluminum rail but then again if you dont have the rail/manifold combo it may be pointless

I agree, for 50$ you can pick up a Hondata gasket and cut temps down quite a bit, I have a hard time justifying really expensive parts for a couple of whp. I wonder what the difference in heat radiation between a carbon composite and Al is. Surface area would play a factor, and given the absurd light weight of carbon you could increase surface area without a weight penalty.

EDIT: Talking out of my ass, carcon is a heat insulator, and doesn’t transmit heat very well, if at all. That’s the advantage right there I think.

the hondata gasket is it a worth while investment some people say it is a noticeable difference other’s say the didnt notice a thing

i had a hondata gasket and didnt notice any differance in intake temp…if you can pick up a few whp just by dropping fuel temp by keeping it from going threw a hot alum fuel rail whats the downside? i would spend the extra money anyday for a quality product. esp in an all motor build where every hp counts

x2

woah sick! I wanna see some prices here… Just think though, sompared to the LS1’s, GM got smart and started producing them with composite intakes and then the idiots at weiland decided to come out with an aluminum intake that costs $600 and when dyno tested, it made 8 hp less than stock because of its material!!!

the skunk2 carbon composite fuel rail is going for 225 about 50 to 75 more than your avg rail

In that case it may be worth it, but only as a last detail to an already serious build. For most people that tinker with thier cars, this is not for them.

true but any aftermarket fuel rail is totally useless unless in a serious build anyways