want to make a custom intake manifold

well, since there is only the ford racing intake manifold available for my car, and another one from the guy who screwed me on my MAF, i would like to make my own custom intake manifold for my zetec focus…how would i go about this, or who could make one cheaper than $350? if i make it myself what calculations do i use to design it for my setup and boost? anyone able to help?

***cough cough Zerodaze*cough cough??

not sure about ur application, but sheet metal manifolds are expencive.

I don’t know much about these motors. But fabbing up a custom intake is not a minor project. Besides the design considerations, a lot of skill is involved. What about just reworking the stock manifold? The basic principles are well known - matching up the ports, smoothing the transitions, etc.

the stock one is plastic, and a two peice design where it is two halves adherred together…a one peice design with longer runners was in the very early 200o medel yr focus, and many people port that one out to get about an extra 7hp out of it, but i would rather something more drastic if i could

there was one made out of epoxy that actually had some really impressice dyno numbers from focus-central, but they cease to make it anymore, plus it was $450. ford racing makes a cast one over $500, and its said to not be worth the money. sheet metal ones are hard to come by, some people make thier own and they look really horrible and really dont have any engineering to them, just bodged together, i would like something well designed to optimize my setup thats not gonna look/perform like crap if i spend big $ on it. hope someone can help

I’m surprised that Ford is the only one who makes an aftermarket intake.

Could you have the stock one ported?

^^ edited above post lol

here is a pic of the two different intake manifolds
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=725908
ford racing one
http://i17.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/6f/3d/18_2.JPG

Gotcha.
I really don’t trust a plastic intake especially on boost. I know the SOHC 4.6 Mustangs blow up their plastic intakes when supercharged.

Anything Cosworth for the Zetec? I know they make an intake for the 2.3 PZEV.

Cosworth is generally CRAZY expensive. $799 for a set of rods.

true.
Its sounding like the Ford one is the only viable option.

yeah, preformance shops that deal stricly with focus’ have tested the ford racing one and said its not really worth the money…to use it with the stock head and throttle body you have to modify the head, the manifold, and the TB…they want you to buy the FR head to go with it and their 70mm race trottle body too…after all that its like $3000 plus

ouch and thats only one head!! I could do the same to the Mustang and ring out for less.

What would it cost to make a sheet metal intake?

Custom sheet metal intakes for V-8’s are $2,000 and up!

it seems like your going to end up spending more than you want to

if the ford one is only worth 7hp, im guessing that that means the plastic piece alrady does a pretty good job OOOOR the restriction is the head / cam more then it is the intake

im also going to bet that the 7hp was up high in the rpm’s, indicated by the shorter runners on the ford racing intake

it would basicly be a guessing game tho, would have to just more or less copy something else out on the market for a similar sized engine and hope it works well

ud need a flange from a metal one… ud have to make up the ports and than make a design…

if u can get a metal verson from the earlier ones u can just extrude hone the thing

2 - 2.5l pleanum

tappered runners. 2.5* ish

runner lengh would depend on what rpm range you’re tuning for.

as for a flange bmc will cut one from a gasket. your biggest issue will be mounting injectors.
if possible i would try to keep the runners straight, and have the injectors mounted on the back of the pleanum; they will spray straight down the runner, and the fuel will atomize better.

you may want to make a plug from foam, and then maybe start playing around with composites. it will a god winter project.

2000+ 2.4l mistu intake manifold off an eclipse, its steel tubing and the injector bungs would be easy to chop off and reweld to a custom mani … just gotta find one in the JY

the ford racing one is worth more than 7hp, the ported stock one is the 7hp…but for $120 for a ported stock plastic vs. a $500 cast one the bang for buck is a huge difference, that is why the FR one isnt worth the money, esp. after you have to modify it to fit anyway. Zerodaze…can you PM me maybe with a little greater detail about the sizes? i would love to build this thing, and use hotrod’s idea for the injector ports off an eclipse

ok this is really crude but is this kinda what ya mean Zerodaze?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/focusinprogress/zerodaze2.jpg