Skydiving...

That looks awesome! I want to try skydiving but too pussy to do it by myself. Need a compatriot to stare death in the face with.

Headed to San Diego for NYE and as many as 5 days of skydiving! YAY

If you have any questions about it, I’ll answer as best I can. Are you looking to tandem, or learn to solo?

Made 25 skydives in 3 days. Wore a helmet cam for a few. I tried to do some sitflying, but it’s hard… Picture was probably taken around 11,000 feet or so…

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs050.snc6/168023_10150109133139365_764659364_7641783_1633981_n.jpg

I think I am going to order a BASE jumping rig in the next month or so, because I want to take a BASE First Jump Course in Twin Falls, Idaho in April or May.

That has got to be such a cool feeling…how loud is the wind rushing with the chute open when you glide down?

I was in freefall when that image was captured. Freefall is REALLY loud. Some people wear earplugs when they jump. Under canopy it’s actually pretty quiet and tranquil. Both are awesome feelings.

I tried to order a BASE jumping rig today, but they won’t sell to someone with under 150 skydives, so I have to get my nose back to the grindstone. Planning another trip Feb 3-8 to SD, and was recently alerted to a low cost fare to Orlando, so I may go there soon.

Rent a car in Orlando, and you can stay with me … im 2 hours away (ish)

Will where are you located?

My original plan was not to buy any skydiving gear and strictly get BASE gear… but after finding out that many cool dropzones don’t have rental gear, I decided to poke around. I recently came upon what was too great a deal to pass up:

It’s a 2008 Vector3 Container with a Pulse 150 Main and a PD160R… Includes a Cypress2 AAD as well.

New this setup was about $7200 . I got it used with only 250 jumps on it for 4200 shipped. If I choose to sell it in a few years I can probably get close to that price. :slight_smile: Skydiving stuff TYPICALLY holds its value pretty well.

Right now a 150 is pretty small for me, but I’ll be flying something in that range fairly soon.

One of the seller’s pics for reference:

What kind of price range does that gear have?

What separates the higher quality setups?

Don’t know much about skydiving just curious what the advantages different rigs give you.

Honestly, there isn’t a HUGE margin. A one-off custom rig will cost about 9G or so, a basic rig will cost 6500 or so. A lot of it has to do with comfort and longevity. As long as you inspect your gear, it’s all pretty similar. I am by no means an expert, though. I had help from a friend on selecting this rig. Some people don’t use a Cypress (fires your reserve at 750 feet if you’re moving faster than 70mph) but that only saves you 1400 bucks.

A base rig is substantially cheaper. I’ll probably buy a BASE rig new, and it will be less than this gear was used. But you have no reserve and no AAD.

lol $1400 or hitting the ground at XXX mph hmmm

Well, a lot of people don’t run them, but that’s not because of saving money… I hope…

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs265.snc6/179384_10150116380234365_764659364_7758678_1277121_n.jpg

Wear that the next time you fly on a commercial airliner…

lol. I’ll keep it handy.

looks like a nice rig, now the add ons are what make it $$

cause he would also need o^2

There isn’t much I can really add to it, though…

It was a joke, as in it would be funny to see other passengers and the TSA’s reactions not that he would actually use it. :wink:

Up to 93 skydives as of this weekend. Been flying and packing my own rig. I can pack it in about 13 minutes or so. Did a couple of 3 way jumps yesterday that were pretty awesome, and a 9 way jump that was just insane. Jumping at Mesquite, NV (outside Vegas) in a couple weeks, then hopefully back to SD in April… Ideally, by May the weather will be nice enough and I’ll be able to jump locally.

I also signed up for a BASE first jump course and ordered a Perigee Pro BASE rig w/ Blackjack canopy. I plan on taking the BASE FJC in June, which is about when my rig will arrive.

is the base jumping rig that different then a normal sky diving one?