sled heads

Anyone really knowledegable with sleds on here? May be looking for a sled mechanic soon here if the next couple days don’t work out on getting it running right. Motor is a 2001 polaris 600 that I’m having trouble with. PM me if your close to north tonawanda/niagara falls area. Thanks

Post up the issue, many of us ride and work on sleds.

I’m sure between me and 95dime we can figure it out.
He knows his shit i can tell and I went to college for Power sports.
Post up.

Alright the sled ran strong last season. Start of this season had a coolant leak. Pulled the motor and had the the water pump seals replaced and new top end gaskets. Base gaskets were cometics so I reused them. Dropped motor in and still was using up coolant. Pulled motor and bought new polaris metal base gaskets that they upgraded to for the newer 600s. Coolant issue seems to be gone as I’m not seeing any traces of milkyness out of the exhaust flanges anymore. But the motor is still not running right. For the first tank I premixed it and have the oil injection running and I was getting alot of oil seeping from both cylinders. So I thought it might be just overkill and fouling up the plugs. I undid the oil pump throttle line to see how it ran and it runs better but not like it should be at all. Recoil side seems pretty clean but primary side is still loaded up with a ton of oil in the exhaust flange. Another thing is it barely wants to run off choke, but on half choke it reacts so much better. Again, last season the sled ran perfectly. Checked compression and its spot on. I just don’t understand where all this oil is coming from.

Not running without the choke sounds like a clogged pilot jet in the carb/s. So if you’re running with the choke always on, it’s pig rich and going to foul plugs.

those motors were notorious for using coolant through the water pump, good thing its ok after just doing the seals.

i would take the carbs off and clean them thoroughly and sync them in. dont run it without the oil pump unless you start premixing the fuel. carbs need to be done ATLEAST every other season. i would do it every season, especially with how crappy fuel is. would be a good idea to replace fuel filter and take the fuel pump apart and clean any crud that might be in it while your at it. just keep in mind where the settings were for air screws and such before you take it apart, makes it much easier if you dont have the specs.

The tank of fuel thats in it is premixed right now. With all the oil that was coming out of the exhaust flange, I thought maybe it might be to much with the pump and premix so I disconnected the cable.

So the general consensus is to pull the carbs apart and clean them so I’ll try that tomorrow. I just have a strange feeling that there is another issue at hand. :frowning:

depending on how long it’s been sitting the damn crankcase might be full of oil and may need to be run to get it all out… seen it before in old sleds that have had a bunch of downtime.

Crankcase was split to do the water pump seals so everything was cleaned up and when I redid the base gaskets I made sure to clean out the bottom again as well.
Pulled the carb yesterday and cleaned it. Pilots were clean when I pulled them out. Pulled the pump and cleaned it and checked all the fuel lines. Everything seems fine there to. Didn’t get a chance to run it after so not sure if it did anything.

ever check out the power valves? with all the coolant and oil they may be gumed up and crap or the springs could be shot

Yep, both were pulled out when I did all the gaskets to clean them.

O wait, its a polaris?.. J/k lol
At least your running rich and not lean. pull the carbs apart like suggested and go from there. do one at a time incase you need a reference and clean out EVERYTHING. Check the needle seat carefully to

Well come to find out the crank seal is chilling outside of the case…