Slow Xbox 360 Video Streaming

My xbox video streaming used to work flawlessly. It never skipped or stopped to buffer during a movie, even in HD. I use WMP11 to stream movies. My computer and the 360 is connected to my router via ethernet. So data is only transmitted via hardwire from my computer to my 360. I was using the default linksys firmware on an old 802.11b router and the “old” style dashboard without the avatars. Then two things happened:

1. I upgraded my router to a WRT54G and used tomato firmware.
  2. Xbox had a dashboard update for the new style avatars, ect.

I am still able to use xbox live but now my movies take forever to begin playing. While playing, it would skip and stop to buffer. And the buffer would take forever. And it’s not in HD either.

I am left wondering what when wrong? My new router is better than my old router, running a much more stable and reliable firmware. Is it in the router settings? Is it in QOS?

Secondly, is the new dashboard update the root of my problems? Or a combination of the two? I really need a clue here. I’ve tried searching this online but people who are having trouble streaming are people who are connected wirelessly.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Are you converting them on the fly or is the xbox playing them as they are? If you use tversity and are converting them on the fly, you might check your PC to see if its choking.

If you are pure streaming them and they are playing directly on the xbox, you might wanna check the xbox interface stats. Any errors in the router? Chances are its not QoS unless your network is pegged with traffic. The throughput of most home routers/switches (connected devices use the switching fabric) is well over media streaming. I know my newer 4 port linksys switch had a 8Gbps switching plane on it.