WMC Streaming Issues

For about a year now I’ve been using my xbox360 for streaming media from the computer via Windows Media Center. I had FIOS with the Verizon modem/router combo at my old place and everything worked just fine. I moved a month ago and no longer have FIOS(landlord does so we share internet). So I purchased a Belkin N+ Router with gigabit lan ports figuring that would be more than sufficient for my needs. Nothing wanted to stream right, video just buffered endlessly. Tried a D-Link router instead and was able to watch one video then the nest one would just buffer again. Did speed test on computer ~50mbps dl and ~7-9 upload. Xbox plays netflix movies in HD without issue.

So i;m really not sure what the problem could be. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Is the xbox wired or wireless?

If it’s wireless it’s probably because it’s now considerably farther from the wireless router and the signal just isn’t good enough.

everything is wired. the only thing that changed since we moved was the router, which is why I tried a different one thinking that was the issue. I had an older d-link router that worked fine before we used the verizon router(don’t have that d-link router anymore or I’d try that too.) and I checked both my a/v firewall and windows firewall and the there is nothing blocking wmc extenders.

So basically your landlord dropped a network cable from his fios router into your apartment and you stuck a router on there so you could run both the xbox and the PC right? I’m wondering if your problems are because you now have two routers on the same network, most likely both using the default 192.168.1.x subnet. You should be using a switch instead of a router in this case. Try going into your router and changing to a different subnet, like 192.168.10.x. Assuming you don’t have hard coded IP’s on your desktop or xbox they should automatically grab a new IP in that range which may fix your issue (reboot both to be sure they update).

PS… I’m not a qualified network admin since my job is on the software development side of IT.

i’m running off his gigaswitch actually(it’s a business so he doesn’t want me connected to his intranet for obvious reasons)should have mentioned that. so i’m the only one running anything on this router. as far as the ip addresses I have it sent to dynamic so the router is assigning whats connected. should I try switching to static ip and assign each peripheral it’s own ip myself? i’m not into networking/it myself, and I do apreciate your input :slight_smile:

Looks like that Belkin defaults to 192.168.2.1, so it’s probably not an issue with overlapping subnets, assuming your landlord isn’t running his network on 192.168.2.x. To be sure, check and see what IP your computer is being assigned by your router. I’m guessing it’s a 192.168.2.x number. Then plug your computer directly to the cable coming from your landlord and see what IP you get assigned. As long as it’s not the same subnet that probably isn’t your issue.

Did you try different cables?

I doubt its an issue with overlapping subnets since the traffic is LAN -> LAN

Usually run into double NAT/over lap issues with WAN -> LAN traffic

Well I guess you might get weird issues with the WAN IP subnet being the same as the LAN but most home routers just run those LAN side like a bridge and it shouldn’t try and route it out the WAN if that did happen it shouldn’t make it back in anyways.

How is this setup?

Fios Router -> GigE switch -> DLink -> Xbox/PC into dlink?

Can you login to whatever router you have now and see what its getting for a WAN IP? and Also what the LAN side is configured as?

Yay… a network admin showed up.

Engineer :-p

JayS When the times comes you want to rewire your house with a 40Gb optical ring and run BGP/OSPF/ISIS/PIM/IGMP/MPLS on Alcatel/Cisco/Juniper im here for you

Whats funny is its usually little shit like this that causes the weirdest issues vendors don’t always follow standards properly.

Whatever, cable/router monkey.

we’re actually running off his gigaswitch (it’s a business and he doesnt want us connecting to his intranet for obvious reasons) so i’m the only one connecting to the router. and a far as the ip address the router is assigning them to each peripheral

My ethernet cable is longer than yours!

Find the IP of your xbox

Go on the PC that your streaming from and run a constant ping to the xbox

I have had streaming issues when the HD on my streaming PC was starting to hate life or when there was a ton of shit eatting up the CPU

sorry about posting basically the same reply(posting from my phone).

I have tried using different cables, same result. it’s just weird because each works perfectly separate but they have difficulty communicating with each other. I’ve also tried disabling the firewall on the computer and that didn’t help either.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

tried this as well. was able to ping the router just fine, couldn’t ping the xbox based on the ip address shown. problem found possibly?

Is it the most up to date firmware? My wireless modem out of the box was super slow and sucked ass until I went and updated the firmware.

I want to say yes, but i’ll def check that when I get home

Edit: Just checked and the FW is up to date

Maybe test a different app for streaming and see if the problem persists?

Any suggestions? I’ve tried media player sharing to the xbox with no success with that either.

I used to use Vuze.

I’m concerned that you couldn’t ping the xbox from your PC. What’s the IP address of your computer? What’s the IP address of your xbox?