SmokeyV's Quest for Clean

New goal, new thread.

Recently I’ve begun to dig deep into the engine bay in an effort to meticulously clean things. It started on the idea of a small relocate job, but just kept growing and growing along the way.

Things I’ve done up to this point:

Removed the windshield washer fluid system

Picked up these

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5051/5494591491_c992833b0f_z.jpg

Removed the bumper, support, fenders, hood, tons of other shit

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5057/5538715406_e72674c875_z.jpg

Removed all this stuff

Pulled the wiring harness from the passenger side

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5254/5538728430_999df35576_z.jpg

Did some cleaning on the passenger side

Before:

After:

Drivers side of the engine bay

Ripped that bracket off

Aftermath

Soon I’ll sand it down and clean it.

Parts

Cool picture ending

More to come.

Are you tucking the wires or just cleaning the engine?

Lol, you coulda went and bought a $5 spot weld drill bit and removed that with much less headache. Good work so far, what’d you use for the grime? Simple Green?

My goal is to tuck them as much as possible without having to rewire too much of the harness.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

It was late, it got done either way. I needed some stress relief anyways haha.

And yeah I started with basic car soap and a rag, then moved on to simple green and a brissel brush to get in areas the rag couldn’t.

Tucks and engine bay cleanups are very rewarding. I often ride a thin line of comfort vs. simplicity. My brain tells me get rid of A/C, and all of the extra stuff so that all of my engine bays are spotless, while my body tells me to keep the comforts, and enjoy the car.

It’s tough!

I’ll be ditching the entire a/c and the windshield wiper fluid system. Don’t really need em. A spotless engine is worth more to me.

No wiper fluid? That’s kinda sketchy.

Yeah you might want to reconsider, lol. You never know when washer fluid is important, especially if you’re planning to drive to TENN for that meet. Also, I had no AC in my Z for years (because of a bent line, not because I removed it) and now I’m making sure it works again. Sure it was fine most of the summer, but there were a handful of days that I has sweated through my shirts; not cool.

Ugh… bad idea on anything less than a full out track car.

Pun intended?

unless it is winter driven I don’t see what the issue is. my SHO didn’t have washer fluid for 5 years and I never had a issue and I put a TON of miles on that thing. Just clean the window when you get gas.

Leave the washer tank, you can always paint it or vinyl it to look less like a mass-produced hunk of plastic.

I did the same thing, no problem 3 years now, i dont really sweat much though

I didn’t have a washer fluid tank for 4-5 years in my old Formula never had an issue…However I only drove it in the summer.

If you ever feel like you removed to much your more then welcome to stop over and see my camaro lol

i was thinking the same.

i would leave the washer tank though. it sucks when your windshield is dirty and you can’t clean it.

It’s not bad at all not having a windshield sprayer.

I’ve had this car for 3 years. I’ve never filled it once and probably sprayed it about 5 times. It is also solely a summer car.

I typically wash it every week when its on the road (if not more) and on long road trips, I’ll clean it at the gas station.

I’ve gotten by this far without it, it shouldn’t be hard to keep the trend going. I appreciate all the input though.

no big update.
i’ve been extremely swamped with school lately, not to mention its been way too cold to work on the car.
still have to purchase a number of parts and tools as well.

picked up a dremel to take care of some of my small projects though. I instantly fell in love with it.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5051/5569051195_3833801946_z.jpg

Ground down some of the spot welds that were left from the bracket. Still not sure what I want to do with the bay. I’m going to have to plan something out since i’ll be sanding over a number of areas down to bare metal. Getting a legit paint job isn’t really in my budget right now, so I’m going to have to do some searching around for another decent option. We’ll see.

More to come when it gets warm, which will hopefully be soon.

Due for an update. Although its nothing new, just tearing more stuff off.

rerouted this thingy. rerouted into bay and drilled a hole by/behind headlight.

did an initial cleaning on some stuff

Attention to detail :tup: