SmokeyV's Quest for Clean

I like clean :tup:

http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/73/Mr._Clean_logo.png/220px-Mr._Clean_logo.png

looks real good , havent really sceen one these engine bays cleaned up should turn out tits!

Are you gonna close the moiunt / routing holes up? That would be the bee’s knees.

Doing this is such a pain I have been doing the exact same shit on my camaro.

Thanks everyone.

That’ll happen eventually, but probably not this year. This is my summer DD and I want to actually drive it sometime before July. So my plan now is just to clean, tuck, re-wire, and do some other little mods/changes. Over next winter I’ll pull the motor while doing dp/clutch and do a legit shave of the bay. Just don’t have the time/budget/energy to do it now with all the other things I have going on.

box o’ harness

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5187/5604655069_d9c7899cde_z.jpg

more pics when i sort them out. stay tuned.

shaved some things

fuel/evap line clip

passenger side mount

did a couple other things too that i’ll post up in a bit

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

more shaving

1st half of tranny mount

2nd half of tranny mount

gave everything a bath

got one painted

filled the side mounts

:smiley:

When you say filled the side mounts what do you mean? This is new to me.

Like, filled with epoxy of sorts to minimize flex and engine movement? So… not a solid mount, but stiffer?

window weld.
stiffens them up quite a bit from what ive heard.

Cool :tup:

heres a little write up on it, this guys are toasted though:

Windo-weld is what’s used in most of the write-ups on the web.

I wanted something a little softer. I have a bsr and several upgraded bushings, as well as mmi’s, and am happy with the current amount of vibration (it is my DD during summer). So I went with a smaller shore polyurethane. Windo-weld is about a 55-60 shore, and PL urethanes are around a 25-30 shore. It’ll still provide less movement in the mounts, but wont make as hard of vibrations as windo-weld would.

I’ll be removing the mmi’s and doing this to the front and rear mounts as well.

Not much progress. I was going to get some stuff done last night, but late in the evening I was informed that a good friend (and also an automotive mentor of mine) passed away in his sleep. Needless to say it hit me hard and I quickly stopped working.

I snapped some pics prior to that though, here’s the current state.

Dash is off:

Parts everywhere:

Started removing the ECU:

Everything’s still pretty much a mess:

I’m going to try and get some work done tonight.

Got this bish out. Man what a major fuckin PITA. :slight_smile:

Then wires wires wires!

I have the greatest respect for people who know how to work their way through all that wiring shit. I wouldn’t know the first thing to do about any of it. BTW, nice dice!

got this bitch out

now you see it:

now you dont:

Picture dump.

Cracked the ECU box so I could get it out without removing my piggyback safc. Won’t be needing it anyways.

And now I got the whole harness out.

two boxes o’ harness

removed a ton of old crusty tape

did an ECU relocate :wink:

current state of interior

getting prepared, bought plenty of sand paper

also picked up a cheapo compressor. sole purpose is for blowing air/crud out of tight spaces on the block/tranny, so no, “you should’ve got a better one,” please. I’m well aware of what I purchased.

this looked nasty, drained it. will be cleaning the res and putting new fluid in.

started painting the side mounts

also began stripping 3 layers of hi-temp paint off the upper IM

and finally, current state of the bay