snap on tool box $2500

the box is a top and bottom. the bottom is a kra4107d it has 7 drawers, and the top box is a kra4114d it has 4 drawers and a flip up top bottom goes new for $2800 and top goes new for $2000

I need to get one of these for my dad…but not this one…

Can someone tell me why these are so much money? Is it a case of ‘paying for the name’? $2,800 (new - I just googled some which were $4,000) for a metal box on wheels? Just doesn’t seem right to me…

Are you serious?

They can be made out of different types of steel, different thicknesses of materials, the sizes, the manner in which they’re organized, the handles, the ball bearing slides VS steel slides VS Sealed roller bearing slides, painted, powdercoated, the wheels, the weight capacity of the whole box and each drawer, where they were made USA vs China Vs ?, the drawer liners, the available options, organizers and racks, color combinations…

When you see a Craftsman box and go “Oh, that’s nice” and then you see a line technicians Matco/Snap-On/Mac/Cornwell/whatever, the differences are staggering.

A quality USA Made box can EASILY get to $10k.

someone buy this thing price is negotiable

Maybe its just my opinion, but to me no matter how the box is made, a toolbox is not worth $5000+ to me. I’ll stick with my harbor freight / craftsman boxes thank you.

Snap On/Mac/Matco is not needed for the shadetree mechanic. The Lowe’s Kobalt brand is a good choice for your needs. I’ve got a Craftsman Pro at home, and a Matco (that I got used) for work. Purchasing a Snap-On/Mac/Matco brand new is dumb.

Forgot…the Harbor Freight boxes are EXCELLENT, and a great deal.

They are that expensive, because you get what you pay for. I know techs that have 30+ yr old snap on and MAC boxes that are used day in day out week after week. The cheap boxes for homeowners just don’t hold up in the long run for professional use.

Not to sound like a dick, but you obviously have no idea what your talking about. If it’s just for your dad to use once and a while go to harbor freight their stuff will be perfect for your needs

pretty much hit the nail on the head

That’s because you have no need for it. If I had to take a guess I probably “use” my toolbox more in one day at work then you do in a month.

Very true. You can find them less than half price a couple years old and the moving parts are lifetime warrantied.

Oh and OP do you have a couple more pictures. A guy at work is in need of an upgrade and this might suit his needs. I’ll be happy to pass it along for you if you want.

Yes I’m serious. Like Offroad says, it just seems crazy…but if that’s what makes the price difference compared to some no name brand then it is what it is. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the tip on Harbor Freight. We need to get one for our garage because we have tools EVERYWHERE and it’s getting out of control.

Hence why I posed a legitimate (I thought) question. I wasn’t trying to rail on his price as he’s obviously giving a huge deal, but I was asking for some educational posts as to why they are so outrageously priced.

Thanks to the posts in here, I’ll be looking at Harbor Freight for our future toolbox purchase. Thanks.

OP, I didn’t mean no disrespect to your post. GLWS, I’m sure it’s as nice as Camaro/Danny boy say it is.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

This is an excellent box, and they have a larger version in the store.

Spending that much on a tool box is as bad as a woman spending a ton of money on a purse.

My dad has this box. I dogged it at first until he got it home and I saw the quality of it, VERY nice box for the money.

Hence why I posed a legitimate (I thought) question. I wasn’t trying to rail on his price as he’s obviously giving a huge deal, but I was asking for some educational posts as to why they are so outrageously priced.

Thanks to the posts in here, I’ll be looking at Harbor Freight for our future toolbox purchase. Thanks.

OP, I didn’t mean no disrespect to your post. GLWS, I’m sure it’s as nice as Camaro/Danny boy say it is.[/quote]

I wasn’t trying to dump on you sorry if it came off that way. You work in the IT field right? Well I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you have some very expensive tech equipment, that probably comes close to the price of my toolbox(1350 macsimizer purchased used for less than half original price). Now I use a computer at a similar level you use a toolbox. So to me it’s freakin crazy to spend more then 400 or 500 bucks on a computer. That make a little more sense?

what if it was a super special hotwheels edition PJB?

Ive got my limits on how much I spend on those.

Damn. My snap-on box retails for 9200. That box would probably good for someone at hvcc. Glws.

My home toolbox, yes. But I use my work toolbox 5 days a week and probably go into/out of it at least 15 times a day. It gets its use. And the top of the box has been in use for about 8 years now (3 at my current job, and 5 when I worked at C.City) and is craftsman. The lower part is perfectly fine, but it wasn’t large enough for my tools so work provided a lower box. I forget the brand, but its very similar quality to my craftsman. And every drawer still opens just fine, everything works perfectly on it.

And to top it all off, the craftsman parts of the box were purchased from the scratch and dent section of sears so they were dirt cheap.

As for weight of the tools in the box, one drawer has metric wrenches from 8mm to 36mm (full set),another has standard wrenches from 3/8" up to 1-1/2". Another has a FULL socket set 8mm-24mm deep and shallow, 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive; 3/8" - 1-1/8" deep and shallow, 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive, and a full set of impact sockets 8mm-24mm and 3/8" - 1-1/8". And yet another drawer has 3/4" drive sockets from 15/16" up to i believe 2-1/8" which weigh quite a lot. So the drawers are getting plenty of weight… and they are not ball bearing either.

I use my work box plenty and I still don’t think I would ever spend that much on a box… maybe if work bought it, but I sure as hell wouldn’t.

Well…when you put it that way. :rofl

That actually does a little…although I think there is more tangible difference between a $500 computer and a $4000 computer. I get your point though.

price drop 2200 obo

Can’t see the pics no more homie.

http://thumbp3-ne1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=25895698197475921&mid=AOFVimIAALztTeBohw3hGEb5Y0I&midoffset=1_48346_3267&partid=1&f=1204&fid=%40B%40Bulk

sorry about the size