Tool box help

Hey guys, Im looking to purchase a tool cart,I am currently using a stupid tool “bag” and a small 2 drawer craftsman tool box I have to lug around.I just have too many tools for that now.Here is what im looking at now:

http://www.garage-organization.com/Product/Waterloo-5-Drawer-Work-Center.aspx

http://www.lowes.com/pd_274220-55738-LWK2PD07-BT06_4294801868_4294937087_?productId=1078281&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Tool%2BCabinets%2BTool%2BChests_4294801868_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1%26Va%3Dtrue

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Tools_Tool+Storage_Bottom+Rollaway+Chests?viewItems=48

Edit: The kobalt cart is marked down to $270

There are a ton of craftsman models but none of them have a work surface on the top which is important,also this thing will be coming in and out of my house which is why im looking at carts.If you guys find anything better by all means post a link,my budget is $300 MAX. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Craftsman is shit. Ive got two sets of Craftsman boxes and the drawers are all fucked up and dont open and close right.

yeah I noticed,my dad has a small tool chest and it just seems flimsy.

they are. I wasnt even rough on mine and theyre screwed up.

Craftsman is good if you get their higher end ball bearing line.

Also believe it or not, look into Harbor Freight silver box line, it’s very highly regarded in automotive circles especially for the price.

Me and Code Blue have big Craftsman boxes. Pretty sure he loves his and I know I like mine. Also most mechanics at Inline have craftsman.

Cool thanks for the input!

Yes there’s nothing wrong with craftsman ball bearing tool boxes for light duty/“weekend warrior” type use, nor are the Kobalt series form Lowes.

No reason to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a toolbox for someone who maybe goes into it a few hours a week if that. If you’re in a shop or service dept all the time, then yeah buy something more durable like Mac or Snapon.

if your not doing this for a living buy craftsmen i have a matco box that is ok but im getting a krl snap on box next month

If your just doing the weekend warrior thing I would serriously consider harbor freight stuff. My father bought one years ago and for the type of use a home owner puts on it that will last a good long time. The other good option would be a ball bear craftsman box, but only on a crazy sale. If you were going to pay full price for a ball bearing grip latch box I would just wait and keep my eye out for a used snap on or mac box on craigslist. Sears is a good option, because they will often give you interest free payments for a year if you spend more then 200 bucks. I’m a dealer tech and i’ve owned 2 craftsman boxes and they were both the ball bearing ones and they last a little while, but not long term in that environment. I have a harbour freight 4 drawer roll cart that I picked up on sale for 100 bucks and that has held up well for the last 6 months. They are normally 250 and I can fit most of the tools I commonly use in there. I would suggest something along those lines based on the usage your describing.

just look at the weight difference between snap on or mac boxes and craftsman. The big boy boxes are about 4 times heavier for a reason, but they will generally last a lifetime.

I know several guys in the shop I work at that use craftsman boxes and have had them for YEARS. Take care of your shit and it will last.

Maybe the more expensive Crapsman ones are better but the ones I got were around $300 for the top and bottom and theyre shit. My ratchets and sockets make the drawers sag.

The ball bearing grip latch boxes are decent quality, but they are a little over priced in my opinion unless you buy them at one of the half off sales they have once or twice a year. You can find mac or snap on boxes used sometimes for a reasonable price and all the moving parts are lifetime warranteed. So all you have to worry about is the box rotting apart, which won’t happen if you keep it in a dry place. I had my craftsman box for about 2 years and it held up ok, but it was getting a little long in the tooth, so I upgraded to a MAC when I found one at a very good price.

My father and I just refinished this 1950’s craftsman box a few months ago and it was in pretty awesome shape for its age. It was my grandfathers and he used it for his trucking company he owned many years ago and it was very much used.

Yeah back in the day those boxes were built like tanks.I went to Sears the check out there 4-5 drawer carts and the only one that felt like it was beefy enough was a special line of boxes they have I believe its called garage works. The only problem was it was $360!!! I’m gonna go look at what Lowes has next weekend if they dont impress me then ill check out harbor frieght.

Harbor frieght has a pretty big cart for 299 iirc. I had a harbor frieght box a couple years ago and had no complaints.

If you’re looking for an entry-level workstation, I highly suggest a MAC Tech 1000. If you search Craigslist, (Especially around Christmas) there is always some stupid redneck willing to sell his toolbox for low money.

They’re like $4k off the truck, and you can CONSISTENTLY find them for $800-$1200 in great condition.

The difference between a harbor freight/low-end craftsman and the Mac is really incredible.

Tools are something you buy once, and keep forever. I say spend more now, and in 30 years, you can give it to your kids.

i have one now for school and its a pretty sturdy box.

I don’t think he is going to find MAC or SNAP ON anything for what he is looking to spend. (300 or less) Your very right though about MAC and Snap On quality. I know guys that had the same snap on boxes for 30 plus years in service centers. If it were me personally I would wait a little while save up a grand and watch craigslist for a used MAC or snap on box.

Tool boxes never made anyone money or ever helped them become a better tech…