Snowboarding Noobs

So being that there seems to be some folks on here interested in learning to snowboard this year, I figured I would start a thread to see who would be down for learning. I know zero about snowboarding so I’m going serious noob style this year. So who’s in? Also, if any experienced riders want to chime in on what to do/what not to do, it would be appreciated.

stand on the board and dont fall. lol

im in for anyone learning to ride, you guys can hit me up for a lesson some day if you car to, but it would have to be at holiday valley. im a snowboard instructor there, and well if you find a day im not working, ill be willing to take the drive to give a few hours of lessons, then we will see from there where it goes. but let me know if your interested.

Stand up; don’t lean over or squat when you’re first starting out; stand TALL.

Oh, and bring some Advil with ya… cuz you’re GOING to be sore afterwards; most likely from falling, but also from using muscles you’re not used to using.

Dont be a pussy. Get up after you fall. you’ll be in the way of other snowboarders.

Also, don’t think everyone is laughing at you cause they aren’t. Noobs have been on the hills everytime i’ve gone (it’s nothing new) and all the good boarders remember their first time.

Oh, and dont try Mardi Gras your first time out. That run seems like it’s 10 miles long when you’re constantly falling on your ass.

This is solid advice here. I appreciate it. Anyone have recommendations in terms of gear being that I have nothing?

I bought a board and all the equipment 2 years ago and went about 3 times before I got frustrated with sucking at it and gave up. This year I’m gonna try it again and planned on taking a few lessons so I’d be up for something like this.

Don’t cheap out on bindings…

Watch out for the little kids in the skiing classes.

They go from side to side and it’s basically up to you not to hit them. You could do some serious damage to the little tikes.

You will need a board (obviously), bindings, and boots. You can’t use any old regular boots because they are not stiff enough. I also suggest to buy used so you save a lot and won’t be as mad if you knick it up or put a huge gouge on the bottom. Some legit brands are K2, Forum, Burton, Ride, Lamar, Palmer…

Other than that…

Hat, gloves, goggles, under-armour type deal if you want, snowboard pants, and nice thick wool socks… all that comes to mind as of now. Dress in layers incase you get too warm…

Completely agree. Although I would probably rent the first couple times out just so you don’t waste $$.

As for equipment to buy/get before you go out…

Good set of non-cotton socks, gloves, coat, probably goggles. Once you figure out if it’s something you really like and want to get into then start buying pants, helmet, board, boots, etc.

My other suggestion is buy your board/Bindings/Boots used; and upgrade piece-by-piece; makes it a lot easier on the pocket book. I paid like $150 for my original board/bindings. Then upgraded the bindings alone.

I was just going to buy a new board this year, but due to fucking theives I had to get a board and bindings.

honestly, unless you can get a setup for the first year extremely cheep, i suggest to rent the first few times, to make sure its something you want to get into. other wise your are going to spend a hefty penny on something you wont use.

so rent first, then spend the pretty penny on good stuff, instead of going cheap then buying all new stuff later, and going through more money that way. at least thats imo

highly suggest a helmet before even getting into this, even if its a skateboarding helmet! definitely recommend it to everyone now, after hearing about that actress that passed away from a small fall when she was just learning, had the internal bleeding in her brain!

getting mine hopefully within a month or so

Renting is a great option for n00bs!!!
I work at Buffalo Boards and have rentals for $99… It’s a great deal, because renting at the slopes can add up quickly. We have all new boots, and equipment this year… Most of it is better than the low end stuff we sell as beginner packages.

edit: oh yeah, definitely a helmet… I’m pretty well seasoned but still wear one… It’s not you falling, it’s someone else blindsiding you…

Yea, I forgot to mention the Helmet… Mine’s saved my head more times than I can count… and with the East-Coat snow we get here it can be hard as rocks sometimes.

I didn’t wear a helmet till I caught an edge on Marti-gras and woke up surrounded by people in red coats watching the lift above me spinning in circles and wondering where the fuck I was for like 10 minutes. Worn one ever since…

Where does one acquire used gear? Stores locally? Or should I be looking at craigslist/egay?

buffalo boards im sure has some stuff, ummmm… my guess is anyone that sells snowboarding gear. probably not everyone one, but you know what im saying

Craigslist is a good spot to look for used board/bindings/boots; some good deals can be had.

Otherwise BB is a good option, although I don’t think they’re open for the season, Gus can tell us for sure when they open.

If you’re REALLY serious and KNOW this is something you want to do for the long haul, then there is some great deals to be found now and soon on last years leftover gear. I know Urban on Elmwood just put their snowboard gear out; The Boardroom in E-ville should be opening soon and they’re normally pretty good on liquidating last years gear.

if you wait till mid to end of season, and you rent for the season, then i know buffalo boards usually has an amazing discount on pricing at the mid/end of the season, which you can pick up a killer setup for really cheap! and new

Just watch out for fag skiers