Looking to get into snowboarding hahahahha

Winter time is right around the corner and shit…i have always wanted to try and snowboard…i think i would have alot of fun falling and trying
anyways

Need help getting some gear together…
Everything needs to be cheap and decent [because if i dont like it i dont want to have to much invested]

Where can i snowboard?
What kind of board?
What kind of boots? i wear size 7.5 for a snugg fit and 8 for a lose fit
Do i need googles?
etc. basic information would help

You wont need goggles until you are comfortable and up on the real hills. You may want to rent the first time out to see if you like it. Granted the rentals boards are shit but if you go early in the season when they have all of the different companies out there, you may be able to use a great board to test out.

You dont want to go based on your normal shoe size. Just like ice skates, the boots fit different so go and try on a few pairs and find something with good support that also feels comfortable and doesn’t dig in to your ankles or heel.

Holiday is the only real good mountain in the area unless you are in the park, then KB is alright. Maybe go up there and sign up for an adult class. It will cover board rental and time with an instructor that will quickly show you the ropes

looking to get in to snowboarding?

go out and buy all the most expensive, newest, hottest equipment. It WILL help you. I know all these girls who do that every year and they are soooo good.

lol newman do u have any expensive shit you can lend me? so i can rock with these girls! anyways how much does it cost for the adult classes tpgsr.

Does UB have a ski/snowboarding club? if so is anyone in it?

haha, sorry. i always hated when i saw total fucking noobs on the hill with 2000 dollars worth of that year’s gear. I’ve been riding the same board since i bought it used in 97. I think i do alright. :slight_smile:

you can snowboard at holiday valley
if you have sensitive eyes to wind its a good thing
couldnt help you on the equipment but i think theres another thread where people are selling snowboarding shit

word i still have the same board i started on.

K2 dart 145 lmao it is way small for me but it is awesome for spinnnnnss

edit: also as a noob you have zero need for goggles, you wont be going fast… i don’t even wear them, only time it sucks is when they are making snow

paging Zong, paging Zong

haha, I crack myself up

my first board was a K2 dart, but i broke the tip off, so i bought a never summer used for 100 bucks.

how the hell do you ride a 145? shit I ride a 162. Been rocking the same board since I was 16 or 17. Been through 2 sets of boots and bindings since then. I just got a pretty small board for super cheap. Im gonna throw old bindngs on it and use it for rails/jumps. Spinning on my 162 is not easy by any means.

<3 snowboarding.

great boards, fantastic price

i’ve easily had it since freshman year of highschool… only thing that sucks is my boots are a half size too small and I never remember to get new ones since i rarely ever go. I put them on and remember afterwards and by the end of the day i feel like a chinese woman that just had her feet binded.

I still don’t like wearing goggles. Snowboarding has a pretty weird learning pattern. Take skiing for example, you hop on, you go, you’re making it down the the the first day, but it take a looong time to become really good at it.

Snowboarding has the opposite. You get on, you fall. You fall again. And again, and again. Good chance you wont make it 20 ft without busting your ass the entire day, or the first few times you go. BUT , you go from one severity to another fairly quicky. By the end of my first season I was blowing down the slopes as fast as my board and gravity would allow me. Awesome time.

The classes at HV I believe are $75 with rental, the lesson, and a pass to the schoolhaus lift.

As for equipment, a good coat, hat, gloves, and pants are a great starting point. Then start building from there. That’s what I did.

Go take the lesson, rent the equipment and learn the basics. Then if it is something for you, go find a used setup; there are TONS out there. Then upgrade when you have the $$ and want.

I started 2 seasons ago, and busted my ass hard many times. Started with rental stuff, then bought a board/bindings/boots setup off here used for $150. It was cheap bindings, and cheap boots, but the deck was mint. So I got new boots right away because I NEEDED them because my feet didn’t fit in those boots.

Then last year, I got goggles because my eyes kept watering, Good snow-pants, and Bindings/Tune-up from a board member at a shop.

Then after my head accident a helmet as well.

This year, it’s gloves, and the audio setup for my helmet.

Piece by piece upgrade; at least that’s how I did it with my budget.

As for learning, practice, practice, practice; and Relax… best advise I can give. I sucked the first season, and even the first couple times the 2nd, I just couldn’t get it. Then I went to HV alone like 3 times, and just did my thing, with no one pushing me, and it finally clicked. I’m not doing Diamonds yet, and am still shaky, but I can make it down the Greens without killing myself anymore. This year, I should be blue’s with no problems if not blacks.

Oh, and I started when I was 25…

sweet then im at the right age ws6 lol

I can’t speak for the snowboarding gear side of things, but you won’t need goggles until you are starting to go faster and are comfortable with some speed. If it’s the daytime, and super sunny, you may want sunglasses though to avoid snow-blindness as it can be VERY bright on the hills when it’s sunny out.

As was mentioned, the learning curve for boarding is interesting. You will get your ass handed to you the first few times, but then it all clicks and you learn quickly.

I dont use goggles and i can fly down most hills.I have an extra board for sale with bindings for like 150.Its not total crap either.

Forget lessons.Just go with someone thats been boarding for a couple years and they should teach you the basics.

AHA! I knew it! :loopie:

Most shops have used or beginner combos. You don’t need a great board to learn on since chances are you are gonna mess it up anyways haha. I have some realatively new gear that I am no longer going to need. I will post it up later if you are interested. Goggles aren’t a must, but are highly recommended.

OMG I hate that, girls do it cuz its trendy. I’ve only been around 1 girl ever that was truly good at snowboarding, most girls can make it down the slope without killing themselves but the ones who can hold their own in the park are the ones that get a :tup: from me.

I had the same board from 98-05 and then my manager messed my board up and had to buy me a new one so I got a new Uninc and of course used it 1 season and sold it.

Maybe before you hit up HV or KB you should try a lil hill like elma meadows, losson park or emery park to see what your getting yourself into and get a bit more comfortable before you attack the big slopes. I used to snowboard lil hills all the time before I hit the slopes and I skateboarded for years and it still took me 2-3 trips to not fall on my ass. I thought the most difficult part was gwtting off the damn lift.

plan on falling…alot. lol.