Snowboarders: I need your assistance...

I want to get into it this season because, well…theres nothing else to do in Buffalo during the winter. Theres a sale at 245 this weekend and I was gonna head on down there today. What I want to know:

-I want a quality board that won’t rob my wallet too badly…I was looking at the Burton Air, which is my 1st choice but if that becomes too expensive what other companies should I be looking at? Teck 9? K2? Marrow?

-My gf was a board instructor at KB and said that there are progressive boards and advanced ones, and that some boards are easier to ride than others. Why would this be? (I’ve rode before, very briefly, and learn quickly when it comes to these kind of sports, so I want something that I won’t outgrow)

-Are boots and bindings just boots and bindings or should I be looking for good equipment in that department also? What do you guys prefer: Stiff or soft boots?

Knowledgable input would be greatly appreciated :tup: :slight_smile:

If I were you, I would buy a board but rent one the first couple times out. The learning process can be pretty damaging to a new board…and to your body too of course!
And if I were you I would not get step in bindings. I hate those things. Even though they have progressed, they make you work more.

Interesting…how can the learning process be damaging?

There are countless ways to ruin your board when you are inexperienced. One extreme example: running into a tree. Or you could cut in front of someone by mistake and they could run over your board. Or…countless other things. You would want to kill yourself if you even slightly marred a new board.

I did a quick search for ya. I think this site has enough information about boards for you to get a little knowledge before looking for one: http://www.snowboarding.com/howto/buyboard/buy_brd.html

:word:

im joining schussmeisters again this year, but am snowboarding ( which ive never done b4 )

i used to ski in schussmeisters, but that was years ago :smash2:

I’ve had my K2 for like 6 or 7 years now, its always been decent :tup:

allbeit too small for me now but i could prolly still use it.

If for whatever reason you wanted it, i’d prolly sell it cheap just because i really should get a new board :stuck_out_tongue:

How cheap?

You’re going to want to take your foot size into consideration first. If you’re over a size 10 you’ll want a board that’s more than 25cm wide (waist width). You don’t want your toes hanging over the board, but you also don’t want a board that will be too wide as it will be more difficult to turn. As for bindings, look into a brand name strapped binding. I say brand name because they have less tendency to have things like that ratchet strip/break. These are sized accordingly to your boots. The boots are all preferance to you, I’d def. suggest not cheaping out on these, as they keep your feet warm/dry/comfy.

Your g/f is right about the board thing, but that’s not really anything you can plan for long term. You’re going to want a board that has a deeper sidecut so that you’ll be able to turn it easier as a beginner. If the board has a deeper sidecut it will be easier to throw into turns, but you won’t be able to do those long fast sweeping turns as well. I say you can’t plan for the sidecut because you don’t know how you’ll be riding as you progress. If you are a park type guy, you’ll want more of a sidecut for the pipe and spinning off jumps. If you’re a freeriding go fast, make long turns guy you’ll want less of a sidecut to make it more stable at high speeds.

Hope that helps somewhat. Let me know if you want me to go with you, you know my s/n.

+1 to you, very helpful :tup:

As for the boots… I prefer soft, basically cause thats what Ive always used… Im more of a park guy and hard boots are more for slolem and other gay shit. Unless you are talking about step in bindings… where the binding IS the boot… never had experience with those but people seem to like them.

You are looking for a cheap board? Burton is NOT your friend… Best idea is to buy after the season, but since that’s out of the question… a board for around 250-300 with a nice name brand, K2, burton, World Industries ( they still make boards right? ) , um Rusty, is gonna be cheap for those names.

Figuring on spending between 300-500$ for the board and bindings… I was going to eventually go with a baseless binding because of the problems Ive had with base bindings. And baseless bindings give a better feel of the board IMO.

My style is all park tho… and free riding. My board is a Rusty 153cm, it’s prolly stiffer then it should be for all the park stuff, but I got a sweet deal on it. Usually when your in the park you want a softer board, for landings and tricks and stuff… lots of its preference but you won’t get a preference until you actually board.

Figure on anywhere between 500-800$ , if you are buying the whole kit and kaboodle… board, bindings, boots, and riding gear…

My first year I went out in a no name board from dicks, with Timberland boots, and my winter jacket I wore to school bus stop… and we were those little pricks that made fun of all the stupid snowboarders that were out there like its a fashion show… we could out board em too… it can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be… depends on how well you wanna fit in with the other posers on the mountain. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t buy a k2, 4 years ago they purchased Ride and Morrow and moved production of all 3 companies to their Shakespear Fishing Pole factory in China. They are now made like shit and fall apart easily. Yet the prices remain high lol.

as for wide boards -only get a wide board if your foot is a size 11 or bigger. 10.5 and under can ride a regular board, which will have a better sidecut for you.

as for step ins -i dont agree. Burton’s step in system is wonderful. I don’t ride it, but they definately did a great job. full baseplate heelcup and highback, and they teflon coat the mechanism so ice doesnt adhere to it. Great system, i rode it for a year. feels almost like straps

In terms of wrecking a new board I don’t really think that’s true, as long as you don’t go the first day open when there is no base, you’ll be alright. avoid trees though obviously, lol. there’s a preeettttyyyy wide space, if you go towards the trees and can’t make yourself fall before you hit them, well you’re in trouble.

I’m not a fan at all of flow bindings, but other shops that sell them say they’ve come a long way, and ride pretty decent. I’d still advise either straps or burton step ins.

Depending on your height and weight, my board may fit you. It’s a lib tech Dave lee 156. unfortunately I’ve spent my last few winters hurt from skateboarding injuries (new one every year, tore the tendon in my ankle 3 times in addition toa ton of other stuff lol) so I haven’t ridden it hardly at all. but I could sell that to you for $200, it retails for $420+tax. Perfect shape, and I just tuned it so it’s fresh and ready to go

I’m only selling because at the end of last season I bought a lib tech magne-traction, the hottest fucking thing to happen to snowboarding in years if you ask me. You can carve on ice! but just starting out you probably won’t want to drop $519 on one of those, lol

If you have any questions feel free to call me up. I manage a snowboard shop, have been there for over 5 years. and if you get a setup and need it set up, I’ll do it for ya, no charge or anything. or if you just need advice

good luck, snowboarding is a blast

edit: and i wouldn’t really recommend baseless bindings. not that i’d even know where you’d find them lol. but bindings with a base will distribute the energy throughout the board better so better response. there’s a reason noone makes baseless bindings anymore lol

Thanks dude :tup: I think 156 is a bit big (I’m 5’8, 145 lbs). Which shop do you manage? I’ll definately come up and have a look. My buddy’s brother has a top of the line Palmer + boots/bindings that I can probably get him down to around 350 for.

Btw for my height and weight i’d want around a 152 correct?

starting off that’d be good, i’m about your height, but weigh less and I ride a 156.

Are longer boards (compared to your body/frame) for more advancement? ie. whats the advantage of having a longer/shorter board? My girl tells me the board should be between my chin and nose…

btw. If any of you are willing to ride with me and show me the ropes this winter, that’d be awesome. From my past experience with well…basically everything (skating, paintball, tennis, auto-x etc.) a great way to get better is to participate with people who are better than you :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, and who is a member of schussmeisters?

Longer boards tend to do better at high speeds. Most use a shorter board for park/pipe. I’ve ridden shorter boards and IMO they aren’t as stable at high speeds. On the other hand I tend to have a little bit of trouble turning my 156 at lower speeds, but I like to ride fast. Lol, it could also be that I weigh 125lbs and and 5’8".

i’ll ride with you, im not sure if I’m gonna do schuss (most places hook up shop employees with either free or half price lift tickets) but I’m always down to go. only work fridays and saturdays

ahhh man i miss the south towns mountains… here in jersey :tdown:

I want a more agile board. I feel I would benefit more from a shorter to medium sized board…i foresee myself doing park and tricks in the future (when i used to skate at pipe dreams i whored the pipe like it was no one elses business :slight_smile: )

:tup:

Mountain Creek in NJ for park >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

That will be all i contribute to this thread. Back on topic.