Any Snowboard Instructors here???

Ok, here’s the deal. I’ve been to HV twice so far with friends and kinda figured out the really really basics of snowboarding, but I’d really like to go one-on-one with an instructor and learn it from someone knows how to teach it well.

I’ve got my own board/boots, and am willing to buy the lift pass for both of us.

I’ve got people who know how to snowboard, and who have done it for a long time, but I’m thinking that someone who does instruction would be better to learn from.

Anyone up for this??

I really enjoy boarding; and I’ve wanted to do it for a long time, i’ve just busted my ass hard both times I’ve gone; even though it’s still a great time, and I always have fun; I’m always out-for-the-count by the end.

P.S. It won’t be till at least next weekend if not 2 weekends. I spent 4 hours at HV today with my “new-to-self” board/boots, and the results were not good to my body. Too small boots; I’m going to loose at least 2 toenails, and maybe 4, and my feet are beyond hurting me; and brusing both Petallar tendons (I’ve got a bump the size of a baseball on my left knee, and a golfball on my right); so I’m out for a little while.

I would like to learn too someday. :slight_smile:

sorry for the OT:

goob i told you i would teach you…

Thats the best way to learn. I snowboarded for 5 years. Started out coming home with bumps, bruises and at times drawing blood. 5 years into it I would still come home busted up at times from slippen off rails, or just not sticking a trick. Hey it’s like riding a bike your gonna fall a few times before you get the hang of it, but you just one day catch on and then your good to go from that point on.

I was out for 10 hours non-stop yesterday, I started the day with 97formula, but he went home (sissy) and i stuck around untill 9:30. Goob, you should come out with us next time, chances are it will be next weekend for me, but grab a 3 pack with lessons included, and you will learn pretty quickly.

Boots are probably the most important part of any equipment. If they are not fitted properly or are cheap, then your feet will freeze or not have enough support, which will end your day early.

Cure for the boots being to small:

• Try wearing thinner socks. You can buy a thin liner type of sock that is still warm. (No cotton white socks, PERIOD!)
  • You can also try a heel lift. By raising the heel you effectively pull the toes back away from the end of the boot.
    Both of these are available at any local snowboard shop. I recommend ski rack in East Aurora (652-7180) b/c they are car enthusiasts.

Beck wants to teach me. Maybe we can all meet up. :slight_smile:

I was an instructor for a while at KB and I’m not trying to knock anyone, but half the instructors suck and could use a few lessons themselves. There were a few of em who could ride pretty decent. Like 2-3 of us had any talent in the park, and about 2-3 of us had any real “carving” skill. Kinda pathetic if you ask me. However you don’t really need to be all that good when ur teaching someone yourself, but it helps because you can easily pick out little things to “fix” whatever problems you are having, and the majority of the instructors couldn’t do that. A couple of things I will suggest when learning, get comfortable being on your edges, litterally go down the hill horizontally the entire way. Better yet, go down half the hill on ur heel edge, then half on ur toe, just to get the feel for it. WHEN LEARNING DO NOT FUCKING FAVOR ONE WAY OVER THE OTHER! OF COURSE YOU’RE BETTER ON YOUR HEEL EDGE, BUT DON’T BE A PUSSY AND GET COMFORTABLE ON YOUR TOE EDGE TOO OR YOU WILL END UP FUCKING UP YOUR LEARNING PROCESS. Anyway, after going down horizontally once or twice, use that same technique and try to go back and forth across the hill as you do it (note, you still aren’t turning yet, still getting the feel for your edges and where to put pressure) Think of a falling leaf and how it goes back and forth, that’s what you wanna do. Do it on ur heel and ur toe edge (yeah the toe may seem harder). Once you get real comfortable on ur edges, that’s when you try to work in turning, you’ll notice where you apply different pressure and weight distributions it’ll make ya turn one way or the other, then you gotta learn to link heel to toe. This I think is where an experienced rider will come in handy, because they should be able to really help you grasp what you are doing wrong and actually pretty easily fix it.

so basically, getting a feel for being on ur edges = you don’t need an instructor, you just need practice

learning to turn properly = EXPERIENCED instructor will actually teach you something, and really help you get the hang of it

oh yeah, one last thing I almost forgot: WHEN LEARNING DO NOT FUCKING FAVOR ONE WAY OVER THE OTHER! OF COURSE YOU’RE BETTER ON YOUR HEEL EDGE, BUT DON’T BE A PUSSY AND GET COMFORTABLE ON YOUR TOE EDGE TOO OR YOU WILL END UP FUCKING UP YOUR LEARNING PROCESS.

Also, when you get the feel for everything, your can read up or get some info from experienced riders on how to really turn properly with good technique…As bad as a lotta the instructors were there, they gave us riding lessons on proper technique and I myself learned ALOT. When I say learning the wrong way can be kinda harmful, I can use myself as an example. True “carving” is technically turning completely on ur edge, you would see very nice patterns (edge to edge, I know you’ve all seen them from skiers, but not many boarders do this) if you made a line underneath the chair lift and checked it out on ur way up the lift from above. I personally can “carve” better riding switch stance than I can riding my natural way, because I taught myself how to ride switch using the mechanics and not what felt natural. So basically, if you see me in the park, you’ll most often see me “tail-dragging” when riding regular. That should really only be used to speed check and not for turns. When you watch a race on TV, watch how the riders are completely on their edges and they literally explode outta the turns. It’s damn impressive actually, and I’m a park rat, but it’s still something you gotta respect.

/rant

Thanks for the pointers actually…

I think getting a new set of boots that actually fit, and spending another couple hours on the schoolhouse slopes learning toe edge should be a good point to start from. I’ve got heel-edge down fairly decently, and can make it down the either Schoolhouse slope on heel-edge w/o issues and the falling leaf… toe edge is next, and I defenetly struggled everytime I was toe-edge on the larger hills on sat.

^^^^most of that sounds pretty right on.

ive been instructing/coaching for 6 years now and i see so many times people that try to teach themselves or have friends teach them and end up with the worst and usually hardest to break riding habits. i would def. recomend grabbing a lesson while its early on in the season. shoot me a pm i might be interested im usually on the hill almost everyday anyway.

and as for the comment about most of the instructors sucking i would agree with that statement about kissing bridge (minus a few sloid riders ive met personally) try a resort with some level 3 certified AASI certified trainers and you will see a dramatic improvement in the riding of the entire staff

WERD. Usually certifications and such are meaningless but that AASI shit is actually no joke, you need good form and ability.

You instruct at KB or HV? and you DEFENETLY will be getting a PM about this in about 2 weeks probably, if not next weekend. Thanks.

If anyone wants to learn how to Board, I would be more than happy to teach you as long as you pay for my lift ticket. As long as you are receptive to instruction and dont always think that you are right, than its not gonna be that hard to teach you. I work at Ski Rack in EA so if you need anything done to your boots, talk to either myself, Audi_Sniper, or Darkkstar and we can help you out.

Really… I work in EA, so I’m there all the time. I was thinking about stopping in there and checking out the boots anyways; now I may have to really stop up there and see what you guys can do for boots and an instruction session.

Especially seeing Darkstar still owes me for doing that PCM work over the summer.

Ya deff stop in. Ask for Bob(me) or Erik (Audi_Sniper) or Don (Darkkstar) One of us will always be there

i actually instruct/coach at holimont in E’ville. but i do ride at holiday on occassion

whenever i see someone riding down the hill on there heel edge, not even traversing from one side to the other, i try to pass them as close as possible to them and as fast as i can because it is fucking annoying and they deserve to be scared. These people do nothing other than fucking scrape the snow to the bottom of the hill. This is not the way to learn how to snowboard. You have 2 fucking edges for a reason…

^This man may have just seen Hostel.

Good idea finding an instructor :tup: Learning proper technique early on is tremendously important because if you are forming bad habits from day 1, you’ll have a rough time down the road and bad technique will hold you back exponentially.

i’ve got a few years teaching under my belt, mainly beginner stuff, thats where i accel. feel free to pm me for some night riding.