Snowmobile guys step in - Ski Doo Rev 800

So i’m looking at a 2003 Ski Doo rev 800 with 7000 miles on it. It has a fully rebuilt suspension front/rear, new skis and rings. It’s in very nice condition overall.
What is something like this worth? Also what is none to be wrong with these, any known issues to look for?

I haven’t owned a sled in about 5 years, had an 02 600 ski doo summit before this.

crank bearings are a big issue with these.
www.dootalk.com

I have the same sled with less miles and it’s been great. Crank bearings go once with ISO grease leaks out, definately something I would be worried about at 7k miles. I would redo the bottom end before winter, you can get them for $325+shipping from JJs Machinery.

I am still on stock top and bottom end at around 4k miles.

Otherwise great sled and you will love the way the rev chassis rides.

BTW, I will let my sled rev go for $2600, New track last year, new belt, rebuild the rear shock, overall good shape. I was planning on doing a top and bottom rebuild before the season, but I would rather pick up an XP. Take $550 rebuild it yourself and be confident riding all winter.

Price parts before you jump into it… SkiDoo gaskets get crazy, rings are good money too.

I’ve heard of problems with pto side crank seals on these too; I belive there is a kit you can buy to help retain it and stop it from pushing its way out.

03s didn’t have the PTO retainer, You can get one for around $40, I would check for grease on the PTO side when looking at the sled.

The rev chassis rides nice, but you sit pretty far forward on it and they don’t transfer very well compared to other chassis if you like going fast. Though these are slow anyways.

My cousin has one of these but the gtx version, his has about 4500 on it and its been pretty good to him

Those "beaver tail"s aren’t the best, Also the bulk heads are kinda weak.

Compared to a mid to late 2000’s Indy, I’ll take rider forward comfort over weight transfer benefits.

:word: assuming you are using this as a trail sled

fast as fuck. get pumped

From what it sounds there are a few things to look for but nothing major.

Now price, what would you pay for it? would $2500-3k be in the right range?

You can change out the beaver tail, most have already been done. After market top end kits are not bad. You could do the top end for pretty cheap, under $200. Look over the sled real good, compression test is a must. If it looks good and your ok with the possibility of a full rebuild then go for it. Remember though 7k miles from around here are going to be rough miles. I wouldn’t pay more than $2500.

any polaris really isnt that great at anything… :slight_smile:

take a twin spar chassis and have even better ride quality and still have weight transfer. all im saying is alot of people dont like the ski doos because they are a little “too forward feeling”. thats the beauty of the newer cats, they ride better than the skidoo but you dont feel like your sitting on the front bumper.

i just think that this particular sled gets way too much praise and that it really isnt as great as people make it out to be. hell that little skidoo 600 will run right with this 800.

i may be a stubborn cat guy though lol

I’d take one of the 600sdi doos over the 800 anyday, but to say the rev chassis’ don’t deserve the praise they get is pretty dumb. Must be your ditch pickle fan boyism:tif:

I doubt that a 600 doo would run with a 800. For sake of comparison, I pull on my buddies 08 f8 snopro, and 06 f7 snopro all the time top end, all of our sleds are stock, I dont know where you get off saying these are slow???

Also, If I ditch my sled this year I will either pick up a newer F6 cat or a 600etec so I really don’t have brand loyalty, just looking for a newer rider forward sled, thats a bit more fuel efficient, which the rev 800 is not.

Buy it, ride it, off it next year to some young kid and upgrade if you like the sport. end of story.

the f8 didnt perform well power wise until 2010 when they came out with the ho motor. that was 163hp in the twinspar. its only 160 in the procross chassis due to a different pipe design to fit the sled, however being lighter, its actually better…especially with the chaincase. as for the 06 f7, that year had a good ecu mapping however if it were diamond drive, there you go. even the chaincase ones(r model) wasnt set up as well as the 03’s outta the box. fwiw, ive seen alot of f6’s run with diamond drive f7’s.

and the skidoo 800 in the rev is what ~138hp? slow. my fat pig of a zr800 (stock motor) has yet to come across one that was even close…and im only around 145 right now. this piggy will outrun the stock f8 ho’s and new xp800r’s…those are both 160-165hp range. if those sleds have clutching and minor bolt ons…then were pretty damn close and usually trading wins. but even at that i still think my sled is slow.

as for chosing between an f6 and a 600etec, i may be a cat guy but youre better off going with the 600 etec. those sleds are pretty impressive. they run well for a 600 and it will get way better mileage then the f6.

sorry to get off topic a bit…but OP, the sled in question is a fairly good sled, just go through it with a fine tooth comb. being that it has 7k, if it doesnt appear to be very well maintained then i would be expecting to do some work to avoid having any problems.

You cant compare a zr800 with clutch work and what ever else you have done to stock set up’s. You know how to set up a sled.
I’d rather have a etec, sdi or even a 600HO if I had to choose. I’m happy with 120hp geared down, clutch work and some good shocks.