So how long until our native american friends riot?

Im sure people have been watching the news

I went to the reZ this morning, smokes went from $2.30 —> $3.00 a pack, and their inventory was quite low

i used to support Spitzer, but now hes just pissing me off

comments on the situation?

wait, why did it go up?

sorry for being ignorant.

they are gonna be burning tires soon on the 90.

Battle Begins Over Indian Cigarette Sales [ Video](javascript:popUp(‘/video/news.aspx?stype=ln&sTitleBattle Begins Over Indian Cigarette Sales&clip=060317_cig_morning&storyID=10408’))

Mar 17, 2006 - One state official is trying to stop the tax-free sale of tobacco products to non-Indians on Indian land. The protests so far have been peaceful. Native American supporters gathered on Thursday to speak out against a state law requiring tobacco wholesalers charge sales tax to Indian retailers. The law is not being enforced by the Governor’s office or by the state department of taxation and finance. Instead, the call is coming from New York’s Attorney General.

Eliot Spitzer, who is a candidate for Governor this year, is threatening legal action against wholesalers who do not charge sales tax when selling to smoke shops on Native American reservations and territories.

Wholesalers have since stopped shipments out of fear of facing legal woes. That is sparking a movement on Western New York Indian land to fight any action that some believe infringes on Native American sovereignty.

“You gotta remember, when the World Trade Center was hit, the United States went to Iraq because someone came into their territory. And to them it’s legal and it’s just. Our people believe this is their nation,” said smoke shop owner Ross John while he waved to passing motorist on the New York State Thruway during Thursday’s protest.

In 1997, members of the Seneca Nation clashed with state police along the interstate, setting fires and blocking traffic. That was the last time Albany tried to collect sales tax from Native Americans. The state backed off after days of conflict.

Some tribe members are calling for a repeat of 1997.

“It was brought up a number of times in the last few days and the thing is that nobody controls anybody’s feelings around here. Our law enforcement doesn’t control what individuals feel,” said John. “The Seneca Nation government doesn’t control what anybody feels.”

“I think we all hope that it won’t come to that,” he said.

cliffs - NYS wants to tax everything they can get their hands on, indians are soverign, tax free status. Instead, NYS is taxing the guys who sell to indians, basically extorting from them instead of the indians

ny will do whatever it can to tax the ever living last fucking cent out of its residents…this is getting old. How long till NYS residents riot

thats what I’m saying… fuck NYS

its not even worth going there to get gas anymore. this wont last long when the indians lose money. their to greedy for that to happend

find out soon enough, I’m going there after work. :ohnoes:

I don’t know… I think its fine.

If you are a non-indian, you should have to pay taxes.

Easy solution… quit smoking.

while I do agree… thier still fucking the native americans.

I dont know… I still think NYS should go fuck itself. Highest taxes in all the land, you’d think it would be a decent place to live. NOPE

shitty roads, no buisness, crappy politicians, ect

This shit pisses me off… as if they werent OVER taxing the hell out of everyone already

they are operating on a soverign nation, they should set their own rules

The tire fires have already started.

And I might lose my job. FUCK. I work at Heron’s Landing. I haven’t had to work in a week.

PS. They stopped delivering gas yesterday too.

Indians being able to sell tax-free cigarettes doesn’t strike me as a cause of NYS economic problems.

I don’t know, what was the law regarding taxes and indians? Was it set to expire, or does Spitzer just want to make it look as though he is doing something?

Do Indians get to benefit from the things that our taxes pay for? Like fire/police, social security, welfare, etc?

They just took away the cheap way to get a very addictive drug with a high tax…

Can you say black market.

agreed

Sounds pretty reasonable to me, Its not like the tax breaks are benefitting anyone on the reservations besides the people who own the gas stations. How many private gas station owners do you know with multi million dollar houses?

What about real Indians, can they get cheap smokes or just the mistakenly named indians from America.

yeah my friend said a carton was like 30 bucks of newports now and she said gas went up too… wtf… well…i dont pay for my own gas anyways soo :slight_smile:

^Uh-oh! Princess Platinum alert!

So anyhow, I get that the Injuns are pissed that they’re being taxed. But I don’t know enough to form an opinion on it. Does anybody know if they get all or some or any of the benefits we do, without paying taxes?