So, Ice Racing.......

they are madd cheap on tire rack right now.

i have a set of 195 wide 15" winterforces on right now. and couldnt be happier. well maby if the L had the power to spin them. happier.

I just started using a set of REVOs on my EVO. More grip and traction in the slippery stuff than the Hankook Icebears that I’ve used for the past couple of seasons. So far they’ve done well in a variety of conditions. Not great in deeper snow, and a little tendency to get a little twitchy across tire tracks (square shoulder?). But overall I’m satisfied so far.

George M

Would it be completly retarded to take my wrx to it?
Or is there single runs (time trails) as well?

holy shit, do an f-bod/stang ice race meet

just watch what happens

hakkas 4 lyfe

no time trials, that’s gay. and there were 2 STIs last time that were blowing the doors off my Z haha

God this would be awesome to do. Too bad my car is teh suck for this kind of stuff.

I’ve gave this idea some thought, I’m all ready to go. Whens the next event and where is it at?

See the links in the first post, CNYIRA and AMEC both have dates (tentatively) scheduled for the first weekend in January.

You think there will be enough ice in a couple weeks?

Maybe, it’s 16 degrees up in Wells (AMEC territory).

i remember watching that out my back window :slight_smile:

idk if this schedule is up to date but it says they have 2 scheduled races on honeoye lake:

http://www.cnyira.com/cnyirasched.html

that is about a 1.5 hr drive depending on the weather for all you people from the buffalo area :slight_smile:

how bad would a 02 gti do in something like this? and what level of experience/skill would you suggest one to have? i’d love to give it a try.

idk anything about it, but i dont think i would trust driving my car around on the ice… maybe if i had a cheap beater 1g awd or something.

There are FWD cars that do it without a problem. And they won’t let you run if your car is a beater POS.

How are your tires?

Street-legal classes are no-contact, so you shouldn’t be too worried about playing bumper cars with anyone out there.

+1, This looks like a ton of fun.

I’d love to take my speed6 out there, I bet it would do pretty well.

I wonder if you can have passengers in your car and if helmets are required?

Mabey next year. I get my fill of ice racing every time it snows anyways.

If you want just do what we did. After the races were over we went out there and raced around the track with each other alone. I had a 4x4 truck and I think I had snow tires, it was a lot of fun. We were out there for a couple hours. That was Honeoye though, nobody cared.

I wouldn’t trust myself in a race at this point, I’d worry about wrecking another car.

I won’t go out unless it’s pretty thick, over a foot. Plus I figure if there’s other people out there then they’ll probably find any weak spots first :slight_smile:

Here: http://www.almanac.com/outdoors/safeice.php

7-1/2 inches Passenger car (2-ton gross)
8 inches Light truck (2-1/2-ton gross)
10 inches Medium truck (3-1/2-ton gross)
12 inches Heavy truck (8-ton gross)
15 inches 10 tons

I don’t think they run unless there is at least a foot of ice.

I think it was Honeoye a couple of years ago where we held a ice autox just down the lake a bit from the actual ice racers, under the same setup and sanction. Lots of fun. I seem to remember the ice was at least 18inches at the start. However talking to the ice racers, by the time they were done they had chewed it down to maybe 8 inches thick.

George M