So, Ice Racing.......

Brand new snow tires.

thanks for the info everyone.

i looked at the rules and I didnt see anything about if you have to run cars… i wonder if i could run my tracker?

Brian

Good question.

I know there is like a 3000 lb weight limit for the street class. You should ask on the amec forum.

They must have at least 12" to run. Last year they ruined a lake because they plowed it and stacked the snow too high. In any case there is enough experience (I hope) around that car falling through should not be an issue.

3000 lbs seems low, since my wrx is 3200 lbs. Is that right?

Here are the classes from the rules page of their site:

Class A:, 2900 lbs maximum, 1000 lbs minimum.
Classes B, C, D, E: 2900 lbs maximum.
2WD Street Tire: 3200 lbs maximum.
4WD Street Tire: 3500 lbs maximum.

Also says no engines larger than 6 cylinders or 3.6L.

http://www.cnyira.com/cnyirarules.html

shoot i shoud be in. the tracker cant weight more than 3000lbs. some published numbers said something like 2600lbs.

i wonder if the soft top would fly though. ill have to go over and ask.

Brian

Being out on the ice with a ton of trailers, 50+ cars and hearing everything shifting and cracking is a very very unsettling experience, but it was a damn ton of fun.

well the tracker weighs 2746lbs curb weight. i posted on the amec forum to see if it was ok.

Brian

:frowning: no trackers. bummer. they consider it a SUV which it sorta is. oh well. i dont really have anything else to run but maybe my v6 k car and i gotta put the interior back in it.

brian

Hmmm, maybe…maybe…

http://wetzelsracing.com/images/28sm.jpg

I remember that car. Alex gave me a ride in it at the A.M.E.C. Studs on Ice event where that pic was taken. I may have even taken that picture. At the time Alex said it was about to be sold to a guy in Buffalo. :smiley:

Has it been out since 2001?

I would be that guy in Buffalo.

It also is featured in a segment on the AMEC video of that event. If I had a way to extract it, I would post it up. I’ve tried a number of programs, but each can’t handle pulling it off the DVD.

just got an email, evidently no race on jan 6?

I’ve seen it. It is very good! In fact Rob Reed and I shot the two in car camera scenes. I shot the trackside scenes and edited the final copy. Someone else transferred it to dvd, because it was all VHS for me in those days. It was an awesome day on the ice. :slight_smile:

Mike

That’s correct. We are very close to having raceable ice. This is great news, because last year at this time, a couple of our members were jet skiing on the open water on New Year’s day! Tune in to www.icerace.com a couple of days before the 13th for up to date info.

Mike

yikes 4 hour drive from buffalo makes for a long day

anyone have a hotel room they are going to have there saturday night? that would make this doable

good stuff, I’ll keep my fingers crossed (and see about sourcing some wheels/tires for the Z in time lol)

If you want something else to do, there is currently a rallyX scheduled for the 5th. That may be in jeopardy though if the temps go into the high 30’s. It isn’t really frozen either and could turn to mud quickly.

From Buffalo it’s much closer over near Geneseo in Leicester. A group of us are planning on going if it’s going to run.

we still have work to do on our rallyx car… i’d use my sti for ice racing though.

god we’re f’ing lazy :frowning:

I received word from Mark Laitenberger today that the event is in fact postponed due to soft unfrozen ground. They are hoping that the weather will turn colder and track conditions will improve for the Feb 16 event. He will try to reschedule the event for late March, or sneak an extra event in this fall.

Mike