so i'm on the front page of youtube music

http://youtube.com/categories_portal?c=10&e=1

Editor’s pick

<b>[DJMag Micromix (By dj.dstar)](http://youtube.com/watch?v=L_SPrMpmHIU)</b>

damn! i know most of you guys have seen this but i’m kinda excited to wake up to this, cant wait for all the retarded comments.

Oh wow!

So, thats you huh? I expected different…

Not bad… not bad… Look like you know what your doing at least, whats on the turntables? The vinyl looks cool… did you make those?

5 Stars :wink:

Put your hands up for detroit!!!

damn, if you were videotaping who was the skinny kid mixing???:lol: just kidding. sounds good. a couple of the transitions were kinda ruff and i didnt like them too much(sounded like timing was off) but the rest sounded incredible. I could never do this.

crabbin’ like a mofo :slight_smile:

Good mix, the transition into “Lady” was pretty good. But then the Lady transition to the Music Sounds Better was offkey. Not sure drunk people in a club would care, but I noticed it. The beat was matched well though, so maybe it’s not that big of a deal.

The transition to dancehall music (Dutty Win) was pretty good too :tup:

I swear Serato must be the best thing that happened to guys with turntables. You guys are spoiled, but it’s cool to have that technology to use :smiley:

P.S. Didn’t you have a PC? when did you switch to the Mac? You like the Mac better?

its too bad the sound isnt a direct feed! Still, always impressive as usual!

Its pretty fucking awesome that you’re on the main page! Imagine how many people just saw that…

yeah my echo effect fucked me up on the one transition. this was for a contest and i took it one take, said fuck it lol.

and yeah, i really never paid attention to key much but when i watched that video after making it, it kinda opened my eyes to that. Never thought of it before this, and if anything came from that video it was getting into harmonic mixing. now i have Mixed in Key scan all my tracks and when doing longer blends unless I use the drum breaks, I blend by key. kind of an inaccurate program but works well with house/electronic.

thanks for the ups though. i didn’t make this with the intentions of mad people seeing it, now it’s going to be huge…haha

thanks! i couldn’t get the direct feed to work and for the contest’s purposes we couldn’t edit the video. otherwise i would have recorded it and just re-dubbed it.

Sometimes you can play with the speed and “cheat” the key up or down a notch, you just have to be real careful not to overdo it and the songs have to be pretty close in key to begin with.

Sometimes the only recourse is to know your songs inside and out and which songs are in similar key. May be a bit daunting if you are not a trained musician but if yo uwork at it, it will pay off big. Back in the day when I crated my vinyl to do house music, I would crate by key, not necessarily BPM or title or genre. It’s not so important with most hiphop though as there are more beats to mix.

yeah, around 6 percent is a semitone. too hard to monitor something like that in the club though, imo. i’m not trained properly, but i’m growing able to hear shit a lil bit. trying to make my own remixes also is helping me with that aspect.

:tup:

by the way just caught your ninja edit

i had a dell for the longest time but had nothing but problems, doing a gig out in NYC it kinda fucked me, my power supply was shooting sparks and all this shit, and i stupidly left it in buffalo at my last gig. tech support couldn’t find me a power supply in the entire 5 boroughs AND in philly where i was headed to the next morning. i had a 2 hour slot and i had enough music on a jump drive so i just used another DJs laptop and just plugged my drive in. worked out fine. after that and considering the 3 motherboards i went though, broken sound card, and 2 power supplies that broke on me, dysfunctional wireless since the day i bought it…i said fuck it time for something new…it was a nearly 4 year old laptop anyways.

i was a die hard pc user since windows 95, but it had to happen. i like the mac much more, but in serato they are basically the same beast. it’s just more stable all around though, plus i can run windows on here and with the press of a hotkey have XP up if i wanted to set it up that way.

Yeah, for what you are doing the Mac is more stable. Also now that they have the duo core chips, and the ability to run multiple VMs, the new Powerbooks are pretty top notch for music purposes if you can afford them.

ableton live runs like a dream on this bitch! :smiley:

02accord, what did you expect different :o

Those are colored serato vinyls just with a homemade label on them. Nothing too crazy, waiting for them to send me exclusive white ones…yeah right!

Don. Huge props.

Watched some of the other guys entries too, and your mix annihilated theirs.

You’ve gone so far in such a short time and can’t wait to hear good things from you when you’re down in the Apple.

What kinda equipment do you use? pm me, im interested in all this stuff being an audio engineer and would like to pull more of this stuff into my knowledge.

:tup:

His equipment is all listed in the vdeo description on youtube.

congrats man thats awesome

i got some tracks im working on with some guys from downtown. if you’re interested in a collab, we could definately use some scratch skills!