So, say you were adopted, how do you find your real parents?

No, not talking about me, but my mother. Her and one aunt was adopted before they could walk. With the recent ailing of my (technically unrelated, but severely loved) grandmother, it has crossed my mind to know the “real” family on my mother’s side. It has crossed her mind as well a few times, but when memory knows of no other family, it hasn’t caused her to act on it.

So, without her being involved or notified, I’d be interested in learning who is who.Here’s all that I know;

-I think she was born at Rochester General
-B-day is Jan 2nd of 1962 or 3 (Haha, I’m bad)
-Her Maiden name is Brenda Philabaum ( My aunts was Lanette or Lynette Philabaum)

• Not sure how the papers say it, but Marie or Mary Ann Dumbleton was her “adopted” mother, aka my grandmother. No cluse if she’s actually on the papers, or if her last name has changed, etc

I really have no other motive other that curiosity. Her being adopted had no effect on me, I grew up with 2 parents and the whole shebang. I don’t intend to tell her even if a bloodline is found.

Any suggestions on where to look?

It is VERY hard to find blood relatives if you were adopted and it wasn’t an ‘open adoption.’ Nowadays, mothers are supposed to disclose certain information so hereditary illness can be traced, but it wasn’t like that in the '60’s. Basically get as much info as you can, and contact either a private investigator, or perhaps a social worker or something like that.

This may help a little too. http://genealogy.about.com/cs/adoption/a/adoption_search.htm

Do a public record search for births on that date and place…

I’m in the same situation, my mom was adopted and I am curious to know who my grandmother and father are.

There are alot of searchable sites in the adoption search end of things. It’s sort of like looking for a needle in a hay stack, but its possible. I did it back in 2000. NY is tough because the records are sealed. Unless you are native then you can use the native family act of (1978?) which basically says if you are any part native they cant hold your indentity back and have to unseal the records. I was able to do it by having my B/moms birthday and her first name.