Some scans from WWII, family history stuff (56k no way)

I’ve been going through and digitizing a bunch of stuff my Grandfather had saved over the years. He lost two brothers in the war and after going through some of this stuff I thought a good way to honor their memory would be to share it.

I’ll post more as I get more stuff scanned in. Sorry for the huge picture sizes but the stuff gets pretty hard to read if I shrink it down.

I especially like the letter describing being at Pearl Harbor during the attack.

Holy fuck, let me hook my computer up to my cinema projector.

That’s kinda cool. I remember seeing alot of stuff from my wife’s family from that time. She has a great-grand-uncle on the Arizona, and the family wound up donating alot of his scrapbooks to the Museum there.

We were able to go see it when we went - the Park Rangers brought us into the Archives area (out of the public way - we had an appointment) to look at them. It was fascinating to see what was happening on board (ship plays, etc) in 1939 and 1940; and he had kept the birth announcements for some of my in-laws, too.

is there no reason to make them smaller? I would love reading them but feel like i’m trying to read like an etch-a-sketch writes.

There, now with better sizes.

Thats awesome man :tup: Esp the letter about Dec. 7th. great post

I think what amazes me most is the different levels of communication compared to today. In the article that starts “Billy Cross of Bombay in Invasion of Africa” he talks about asking for news about his brother Danny and how he probably won’t get any mail until Christmas. I can’t imagine being over there fighting in a war and only knowing that my brother was MIA but unlikely to even hear from my family for months.

Very cool Jay.

I think about this a lot.

We get mad when someone takes a day to call us back…

Johnny Chase “Drama”!!!

Good stuff :tup: I love pearl harbor/WW2 stuff.