Something went wrong with the cobalt today

2006 chevy cobalt SS 2.4 liter with hahn racecraft turbo setup but custom tune and 60# injectors and trans cooler. Been turboed for 20k miles. Automatic tranny. 11.5 psi of boost. 261whp, 350 wtq

On the way to work today, halfway there after my car had been driving perfectly fine, the car went into limp mode and started grinding and not letting me go past 30mph with a cel on and t/c light on. The t/c light had been coming on and off in the last couple days as its been colder but it did that stock as well. Could never figure that one out. Anyway, I limp the car to work and its shaking really bad like it wants to stall and accelerates slower than a civic. Once i park, i shut the car down and get out when i smell fluids but i was late for work and didnt have time to check it out so im gonna go see it on my lunch break. Really sux cuz I don’t have the $ to fix either the engine or tranny which could be more than $3K. Right now my wife and I are having a hard time even keeping up with the mortgage since taxes keep raising each year. If this ends up being more than minor I may be forced to trade the car in on a crappier car to whoever will take a $300 down payment which would be all i can come up with. Just figured I would let you all know.

So your complaining about finances with a shitty non factory turbo car ?
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/jgamble7007/problemsolving.jpg

Sucks man. If you read any of my threads on my A4, you would see that I’m in the same boat.

well, i just tested it on my break at work and I dont see anything leaking or dripping, no odd smells, car turns right on with no problem, i have full boost, coolant temps are good, oil pressure is good, t/c light is off, CEL is still on though, idle is a little rougher than a remember before this incident, and overall the car seems ok like it was just an electronic problem or something. Maybe a bad PCM?

need to get the CEL checked and that should help you out… you have cold air intake that sits a little low. the fuckin rain was rediculous this afternoon maybe a clogged filter?

without codes could be lots.

a grinding sound whittles it down some, but those things are all bad.

do you have a wideband?

i know nothing about GM stuff but do fuel pumps go on those cars much?

the rain this afternoon may have had something to do with it since i do have a cai to the turbo. im gonna get the code read tomorrow morning at autozone and see what it says. there wouldnt be a hydrolock code would there? if not what code would indicate water getting in the intake? Its not grinding at all right now so im happy about that. I dont have a wideband though I would like one. The fuel pump is running at its upper percentage of workability so going bad is something to consider. These cars havent been pushed as much as mine so i dont have anything to see what others did since im 1 of the first turbo LE5’s.

Is it running fine now like it never happened? My buddys Cavy has some of the symptoms you mentioned when it rains. He has a Cold Air Intake and when it rains water gets in there and the car will start to surge, and have no power like you said. But when it stops raining (No water being spashed up in the engine bay) the car will run like it never happened.

Hopefully thats what it is, itd suck to be something costly.

This morning i get in the car to go have the code read and miraculously everything is back to normal. no CEl or anything. Thank God cuz I dont know what I would do with a blown engine or tranny.

thats pretty much what happend.

The way you describe it going into limp mode it sounds like the ICM could’ve been acting up. Mine had the same problem last year.

you need to scan. actually with that many mods i can’t believe you don’t have a scanner or tuner.

Holy fucking :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dude thinks that cars have hydrolock codes. I believe it.

Hopefully nothing is wrong Doug…

Once again, this is why ASA Performance is the premier shop in pgh…
(laughs)

prob just water in the intake. then a miss in a cylinder. nothign to worry about now if its running fine. just next time it rains shorten up the intake if you can or take the bus.

Might not be a bad idea to try one of these…

yeah, i learned my lesson about going there, wont do it anymore. :rolleyes:

might have to be investing in one of those soon. it’s odd this is the first time ive had a problem like that on my setup in the last 2 years.