Spark Plug Change

ok so today i changed my spark plugs and when i was done i started up the car and it ran fine and then i rev’d the car a bit and then the car started to spudder and then when i looked under the hood the cap to the 4th spark plug is loose. So i turned off the car and then put the cap back on and then started the car up and it did the exact same thing. Does anyone know why the cap comes loose from reving the engine?

thanks
chad

car: 92 240sx

Cap? Are you talking about the lead / boot that attaches to the top of the spark plug? The end may just be crap and needs to be replaced. Under low revs it doesn’t come loose. Rev it up and POP?

yes the boot, its fine when it idles and all that but then when i rev the engine it like pops off, but i cant think why it would do this?

…likely because the metal connection within the boot is worn.

It is secure enough at idle but when you rev it up there is more engine movement and obviously more voltage.

Start with an unhooked battery then get a screwdriver in there and bend the metal clippy thing so it grips the top of the spark plug tighter. Try that. If that doesn’t work, replace it.

By the way, I would replace it anyway but just try the bending thing first.

ok well i havent done any of that but i just took it out and put it back and just did that like 3 times and then i went for a drive and came back and it was fine and rev’d the engine and its staying in. well see how long it lasts for lol :stuck_out_tongue: