Spotted bobcat spotted

So the building inspector is talking to my wife and he casually says, “Oh and you have a bobcat.”
She says, uh wut?"
He says, “I saw it in your driveway on the way in.”
She tells me and I say “Yeah, right, whatever.”
Fast forward a few days.
Sunday morning I am walking out to the shed and there is something looking under the shed.
I am thinking it is too big to be a cat but it doesn’t look like a dog.
At this point I am aboot 10-15 feet away.
It turns it’s head right at me and runs about 10 feet then turns around to look at me again.
We are both frozen for about 30 seconds.
I was plenty close enough to see his ringed bob tail and his spots!
He ran around the log pile and I ran around the other end and he took off.
My wife is always nervous when I let our 2 year old walk around because we live in a forest and we know we have coyotes.
Bears have even been sighted very nearby too.
I used to tell her not to worry but after that encounter I am a little nervous.:uhh:
All I can think is that he was “sizing me up” and decided I was about 10 times his size.
My daughter however is not much bigger than he.
So I did some research and found our property is pretty much perfectly ideal for bobcats.:ohnoes:
I keep thinking of all the times I let her wonder around the corner to the backyard without worry.

pics aren’t loading :gotme:

Weird, I can’t see them either.

Maybe just an example of an old man’s dementia?

Was this the stare he gave you?

http://static.flickr.com/18/69782934_85ba14677f_m.jpg

I have sooooo much video of bucks, does, foxes, turkeys, racoons, but I have none of coyotes or bobcats or bears.
BELEIVE ME I want to get some vids of predators!!!:eekdance:

I can’t tell you because of hippa.

+karma

Very cool. My parents house in Hornell has had bear cubs in the summer every year for the past 5 years or so.

I have tons of pictures but I don’t want to thread jack, never seen a bobcat though.

your thingy says you live in East Aurora? Where the hell did you find a bobcat there?

pave it

Believe it or not, East Aurora is not limited to the smug village you see in vidlers 5&dime commercials.

burn down the surrounding 10 acres and you’ll be good.

get a gun

no shit .set up more game cameras… what do you do about that … i was told by people in my area that we have coyotes

Clearly you suck at the internets

lol

Step3
Look for signs of bobcats by searching the ground for large cat prints (a bobcat is two to three times larger than a common house cat). Because bobcats are territorial, except during mating season, the travel patterns of the bobcat are very specific within a territory.

Step5
Choose the trap style you wish to use to trap a bobcat: either a long-spring trap or a coil trap, or a homesteader or rear door trap which is designed to capture the bobcat without injuring it. You may find coil and spring traps at hunting supply stores or online at such sites as Bugspray.com. The homesteader trap would also be found at hunting supply stores or online at Cooperseeds.com or other online vendors.

this is a rear door trap
http://www.bugspray.com/pictures/products/lt152248rd.jpg

About 20 feet from my house.
I actually live in the town of Aurora which is more “rural” than the village.
I am on the south edge near Emery park, Holland, Colden.
Yeah, we have bears, bobcats and coyotes.
Infact I hear coyotes pretty much every night.
It was a little creepy when I was clearing the land for the house.
I would burn trees at night and hear all sorts of noises in the forest surrounding me.:ohnoes:
Chainsaw was my weapon of choice for defense.

Yeah, the cool people live in the town not the village.:stuck_out_tongue:

I am definately looking at those new digtal wildlife cameras that can take like 500 pictures.

is there digtal ones that can do like 15sec movies also?? or do i not know what im talking about here

I believe that is true.

If I were in your shoes I would already be setting up traps, or at least letting DEC or someone know that a bobcat is prowling near residences