Squeak !

Before I go back to my mechanic like an idiot, I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone’s had a similar problem. I recently installed (had installed) a Summit (K and N) cold air intake on my 06 F150 and I started to notice that when I accelerate at certain RPM’s I get a high pitched whistle that sounds like a “squeak”. I can pretty much duplicate it at will with just bumping the gas pedal ever so slightly. I’m fairly certain it’s not a belt or pulley bearing as I think that would happen a little more frequently. It’s a very high pitch that I would liken to a warning clip on a brake pad that’s just barely touching. (and no it’s not the brakes) Could this be a small unsealed joint / hose on the cold air setup that’s sucking in air and creating this “squeak”?

Sounds like a tiny air leak. Pull the filter and see what happens. Check every connection.

have someone hit the throttle while you wiggle the intake, see what changes.

its almost like if someone drilled a small hole in the intake pipe it would whistle like that

Its to help you scare deer away this winter.

Sent from my iPhone 5

So you have 2 sounds when stepping on the gas with this intake? I know at a certain airflow with intakes like this, you get a whistle. So you have your standard whistle and a secondary whistle?

I’ll do some investigating. Not sure I feel comfortable with my head in there with my wife on the pedal…and near the shifter.

some hondas have this with a CAI, i think it was the shape of the throttle butterfly or something making it whistle only at a certain rpm and throttle position. it was so annoying

hopefully yours is just a leak

And only happens under load as well IIRC.

came back to post this.

that’s it and that’s all

Be thankful that’s your only issue owning a Ford.

I was thinking the air flowing through the TB is just more audible because of the new intake.

That’s what I was thinking and was trying to hold from commenting because I figured 1qikz has had an intake before and has heard the common sound they produce when a certain rpm/throttle position is hit.

Let’s just say its the only issue as of right now.

Actually, this is my first. I’m hoping its just a belt or pulley. I can’t go on listening to it if its an intake sound that’s normal for this setup. Like a dry majic marker on paper (worse than fingernails / blackboard).

• Updated - - -

Almost side swiped a car and blew a stop sign. Perfect.

You paid someone to put on an intake, maybe you should leave this one to the pros…

Shots fired

If I can rebuild this, I think I could handle an intake. Just a matter of letting the guy do it when I left my truck there to get the tires mounted.

my Mini Cooper did this just as the valve cracked on the TB. Nothing to worry about.

Buddy stopped over last night and bumped the gas pedal for me. Turns out it is the intake right at the cone filter. Will monkey with it a little more this weekend. All clamps appeared to be tight. just wondering if anyone has any input now that I know exactly what the cause is. Thanks.