SR swap complete - Some annoyances

Im glad to say the car runs but I have some questions to ask about some problems that Im having.

1. Cold start - Car wont start on the first crank when its sat overnight. It takes 3-4 cranks to get it started, once it warms up its fine though.

2. Whining in tranny - When you accelerate it sounds like the tranny has straight cut gears ( think sequential box ), the whining is loud. I checked the tranny before we put it in and it had considerable play, is this a tall tale sign of a close to dead tranny? It is MT-90 equipped.

3. Wipers - Work but no intermitent setting. Only lo and hi. I am missing the wiper amplifier in the engine bay. Does anyone know if the every car came standard with this? I have a plug for it from the harness but no amplifier box to plug it into.

4. Tach - At about 2700 - 3700 rpm that tach bounces like crazy, it will settle down once the rpm go beyond that point. Anyone came across this before?

5. Reverse lights - Searched a bunch on this but havent found anything pertaining to an S14 auto to manual swap and wiring in the lights.

6. Dummy lights - All my warning lights except oil dont work anymore. Ive heard this is common for the swap?

Thats all I can think of now, Im sure Ill find plenty more annoyances soon to come. Ill be doing alot of searching on this stuff but just wanted to ask up front before I sift through the archives on the net.

your wiring is funkyswap should act like a KA you should have no issues’

tranny sounds like the teeth might be beat, does it grind?

ps nice brakes

My car did that until I installed my Walbro… usually only 1-2 cranks thou then the 3rd would fire up proper. Once the fuel pump was installed it went away.

Or you can prime your line by holding the key in the ON position in the mornings, for about 5seconds… and then start the car.

ECU cycles fuel pump on for only 3 seconds when you turn the key to the
on position. Those 2 extra seconds are a complete waste of your life :smiley:

1. Letting the pump prime the line makes it easier to start the car.

2. My SR tranny has whined ever since I got it and I have beaten it and
    it still works like a charm. It may have something to do with the heavy
    pressure plate I believe is on my SR. (or if you did some whack wiring
    adjustments it couldbe alternator whine (i had that too)).

3. My wipers don’t work on intermittent either. They worked fine on my
    first SRed 240, but not on this one for some reason. I believe the cause is
    the TCU, ours are probally blown up. I don’t think the ECU controls wipers?

4. In my first car the tach was fine. In this one it acts up and sticks at 0
    sometimes then springs up to where it should be. I believe the problem is
    a wiring issue. Perhaps too much resistance in the ground for the cluster?

5. There is a switch on the SR tranny for reverse lights, you just need to
    hook that up correctly to the lower harness. IIRC it is the plug furthest
    back, and a bitch to get once the tranny is bolted up. It may be different
    for manual to auto, but either way that switch needs to be hooked up.

6. Don’t worry about the oil light. The oil light will only come on once its
    too late and your engine has already been starved of oil and put the #1
    rod thru the block. If you’re worried get an aftermarket oil pressure
    gauge. It will actually tell you something.

I don’t know if my reply will be very helpful to you, but just be happy the
SR runs well, alot of people have messed up issues that take them years
to sort out. HAW HAW.

3seconds… 5seconds big deal.

You can hear when the pump stops… when it does, you start the car. Or at least I do. :slight_smile:

Starting is fine

tach not entirely sure but jantos has the same problem make sure the line is clean all the way from the ecu to the gauge, I say you have a bad connection at your M63 plug

check engine light should work when the key is on on, if not you have bad wiring at M63 plug

you need the wiper amplifier for the wipers to work intermittent

reverse light just check the fsm for which wire runs reverse lights and then hook it up to one side of the reverse switch, with the other side seeing 12v switched

saw this car today, extremely clean swap. well done.

like i said, i think it might be a cold start sensor thinking that the car needs more fuel than it really does upon start up. my car has the same problem.

Thanks for all the replies.

The synchros are very worn in the tranny. 3rd to 4th shifts at higher rpm result in a grind. So needless to say Ill need a rebuild sooner than later.

Ill also be installing a walbro pump tomorrow, Ill give you guys an update on the cold start issue.

Ill have to look into my wiring a little more cause like I said I have an oil light and thats it.

The thing with the wipers is that before the swap I used to have one intermitent setting now I dont have that at all and if I turn the wipers off mid wipe they just stop and dont return. Either I misplaced a relay when I did the swap or the wiring on that is a little messed.

I think you should try an amplifier anyways dude. Just check the FSM.

good luck on the walbro install, I hope your fuel tank is low otherwise you’re gonna have a hell of a lot of fun

What a pain! The walbro doesnt exactly bolt right in! I got the S13 kit so I had to use the old sock but still needed to modify the rubber grommet to make it fit just like stock. And yes the tank was almost empty but talk about frustration trying to put that sucker back in, no room to see what the hell your doing but after many attempts I finally got the assembly back on the mounting bracket.

Same problem though, still need to help it to get it started when its cold. I did notice something though. The idle screw was backed all the way out before and after I set the idle this problem arose. I think the FIAV may be fubared. Does anyone know if the charcoal canister comes into play here? Cause I deleted mine.

Shouldnt… just wont be able to pass an e-test.

I’ve known of 2 or 3 guys in town who havent ran the can on their SRs and had no problems “2 failed e-tests thou”

Shouldnt… just wont be able to pass an e-test.

I’ve known of 2 or 3 guys in town who havent ran the can on their SRs and had no problems “2 failed e-tests thou”[/quote]

i dont have one