SR20DET OBD

Hi there SR20 Gurus…

Anyone know which SR20 motor is OBDII? I just want to to find a motor that I can still get the computer plugged into the emissions testing computer.

Thanks

i’m pretty sure it is… because the harness pins line up with the ka if that would make sense

the KA is OBD I, i dont even think the S14 motor was OBD II actaually… i think the north american OBD II standards were different from Japan…

im 99% sure the S15 motor is OBD II however

My car is a 95 LE. I just want to get a motor that can still plug into the same consult port or whatever they use for emissions.

Does anyone know how I can find out which version of OBD I have from looking at my car? My FSM refers to it as OBD, not OBD II or OBDI.

I hear some S14’s (96+) are OBDII, and others say all S14’s are OBDII.

Does anyone here know for sure? Phil?

I’m pretty sure that the '95 + S14’s were all ODBII, not that it really matters…

When you install the SR20DET into your car, presuming you are talking a S13 SR20DET, you’ll need to use the JDM engine harness, which isn’t ODBII. Besides, even if you were able to wire everything up to have your ODBII plugin work, you won’t pass emissions without using the Hot Rod clause, in which case ODBII hook up for E-test isn’t an issue.

-Martin.

That’s not necessarily true. Many mechanics can’t tell the difference between KA and SR. However, if your OBD connector doesn’t work, they will wonder why, and you will fail for sure.

Do you see what I am trying to say?

I am not installing an S13 SR20DET. I am asking which engine would be good to plug into my existing OBD setup.

My car is a 1995 LE model. Please answer just the question of “which engine would be a direct OBD swap?”

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Phil,

Thanks a lot!

That was the most helpful post I’ve gotten all day :smiley:

I’m thinking of going the route of using a Jim Wolf KA ECU… hmmm… Do you think there would be a significant loss in performance for the SR20 if I were to go that route and use a distributor based ignition system?

Thanks again Phil!

Sorry to bring this topic up again. But own a 95 SE model, I can’t remember if the CONSULT port was used for emission testing. For sure it’s the visual check under the hood and tail pipe sniff test.

I’m thinking of doing a SR swap next year. Can someone shed some light on this. tks.

Hey Phil (or anyone else who knows),

Do you know if GST (Generic Scan Tool) ports is the OBD you’re speaking of?