Just to make sure...

ok,

well i have a 90 coupe with a sohc right now and i want to do the ka24de swap. i was reading up on it, and i found that:

1. the 1991,1992,1993 models are OBD1 and 1994 and up are all OBD 2?

2. for swtiching harnesses to make it work from a '90 to either '91 - '93 i need to only cut and solder(easiest way) the Solid orange - Ignition start, Yellow / Red - Tachometer signal, Yellow / Green - Speedometer signal, Blue / Green - AC signal, Blue / Black - Water temp signal ?

3. does the dash need to be removed to do the wiring?

everything else is plug and play aside from the random ports that will be dangling freely if they dont plug in anywhere?

i need to know for a fact before i buy the engine and if i will have a hard time doing the wiring.

thanks!

to do the swap yes thats the wiring u need to do…its just the one plug that goes into the ecu…

on top of other things u need a dohc tach

dohc power steering resevior/pump

dohc harness…and 95 engines are still obd1 just so u know

ha just noticed im at 1001 hehe

95+ is OBD-2

it changed in 1996 u can put a 95 engine in a s13

^yes, just use S13 int/exh. manifolds… + distributor… for KA24DE 95+ -> S13 KA24DE

1995 is the year that they switched from OBD1 to OBD2, so some of the 1995 240sx’s at the tail end of 95 are OBD2, whereas the ones produced earlier in the year and at the end of 1994 are all OBD1.

actually, all of the S14’s are OBDII… it’s just that nissan had different versions of the ECU’s for 95, 96 and 97-98 240’s… They all have the same number of pins and the same number of sensors…

I’m not sure why people call the early 95 240’s OBDI… all of the S14’s have 2 O2 sensors and that’s one of the requirements for an OBDII system…

As far as I know, the ECU’s differed in how they read the information from the sensors… the 96+ 240’s had updated O2 sensors with multiple wires, where as some of the 95 models had single wire O2 sensors (front) and 3 wire rear O2 sensors… Later that changed to 3 wire front O2 sensor and 4 wire rear O2 sensor (or something like that)…

In any case… the differences is in the ECU’s programming, not the actual system and they way it was designed…

Keep in mind that some cars were OBDII ready back in 93 and 94… 96 was the year where all new cars had to be ODBII though…

ok well ill be going for a 91-93 engine probably, but could i use an aftermarket tach instaed of sourcing a ka24de tach? would that give the same affect, and would the ecu read it properly?

ive heard that 91 engines are the best because the pistons are butterflied or something…suppose to be the best

do i really need the p.steering reservoir and the p.steering pump? i cant use the onein my car?

it looks like ill be getting a ka from an auto car, does that make a difference with my 5spd tranny? Does the ecu work with either or? or is there some sort of a plug that will need to be plugged in if i was using an auto tranny instead of a 5spd?

I dont know about the auto engine thing. But I do have this swap in my car.

When wiring in all you have to do is remove the kick plate to get to the ecu and and you just splice all the wires that match up. The ones that don’t match to anything don’t worry about them.

You will need a DOHC ps pump but the line and resivoir you can just bend over to the driver side. You will have to cut one hard line a bit but you will notice that when you bend it over.

Things that you will need to source incase they dont come with the engine is a distributor, coil, PS Pump, MAFsensor, intake pipe, DOHC Tach, wiring upper harness, DOHC ECU.

I don’t think there is anything else needed. Would be a good time to install new engine and tranny mounts though. I didn’t think of that and wish I had done it then instead of having to do it later. Cause I’d really like that done now.

awesome, thanks for the info! i dont know if i should jsut source the parts out instead of cutting/bending hard lines…

ill buy some new engine mounts, mine are toast.

I still need to know why do i need to source a stock ka24de tach though. Can i just not send the signal to an aftermarket tach? Someone has to know this answer!

i read up somewhere that tha 94 verts are OBD II’s is that true?

Not all 95’s are OBDII. Early 95 is OBDI late 95 is OBDII. Phil’s 95 is a OBDI.