KA24DE engine swap options for 92 240

(continuation of FS: '97 KA24DE w/ Tranny )

[/quote]

how much more labour time would 1) dropping a K14 engine into my stock 92 automatic be vs. 2) getting a K13 KA24DE engine vs. 3) a swap of the engine and auto tranny combined?

I’ve been given 13 hrs for a K13 engine swap vs only about 10 hrs for K13 engine/tranny combo swap from a mechanic who hasn’t done a 240 swap b4, but what about for someone with more 240 knowledge?

sorry, meant to type S13/14, not K13/14!!

it’s a direct bolt in if it’s the S13 engine/tranny combo you mean? Wouldn’t swapping just the S13 engine alone take more time? (even though many mechanics seem to charge the same either way)

Hmm… I’m confused. I don’t know why he would have quoted you more to change the engine alone vs. engine and trans combined.

In my opinion those numbers should be reversed.

To drop a '97 engine into your '92 and mate it to your auto transmission would take about 3 times the number of hours… again, my opinion, not based on any Nissan labour guides or anything.

-Martin.

Isn’t pulling the tranny from the engine more complex than just swapping the whole tranny and engine together?

Either way, it is a huge hassle full of adventure and cut hands. My wallet still hurts…

For those who don’t know yet - AnDrEw, my dad, and I swapped a '95 KA into my '89. I think it is the only one around (S14 in S13, not just a DOHC in a pignose)… I wonder why more people don’t do it ( :roll: ) I might write up a FAQ sort of a thing if enough people are interested. Or if I feel like it.

My advice is to make sure you have all the parts beforehand. Fortunatly the swap only took a couple weeks.

You will need a DOHC harness for it to work anyway, so I would suggest saving money and time by getting an S13 KA.

If you have a 1997 engine going into a 1992 car you will need a M/T EFI
Harness and ECU out of a 1991 - 1994 240sx. If your car was previously
M/T then its a direct swap with a few minor changes to T/B sensor and
some other sensors. Just ask AnDrEw he did one on Maurice’s car.

A friend of mine converted an OBDII b16 into a OBDI b16… a lot of hassles and wiring but not too bad… just need to know what you’re doing and have a both engines full with working sensors, uncut harness, etc…

I’d say the s14 into and s13 swap FAQ would definitely benefit the community and breath new life in to all the 89-90 240sx’s on the market.

OT But Hondata Sells a OBDII --> OBDI Conversion Connector to a P28 ECU.

So if you already have a ka24de, what do you need.

Engine
Transmission
ECU
Sensors??

OK, if i forego the S14 swap option then which route is cheapest overall for my automatic 92

1. swap the dual cam S13 engine with another of same only

2. swap the S13 engine + auto trans with another S13 engine + auto trans

3. swap the S13 engine + auto trans with S13 engine + manual trans

I seem to be getting some people arguing for each of the 3 options!!

I don’t mind converting to standard if it is really cheaper overall, but i don’t get how converting the pedals and shifter etc from automatic could end up with LESS labour than option 2)

Just:

Engine
Transmission
ECU

Jeezus… how many times/ways do you plan on asking the same question? Read the responses that haev alreday been made over teh last three weeks/threads.

Since you asked a new question… sort of… there is NO WAY that doing an auto to 5 speed swap at the same would be cheaper.

To recap - if your engine if pooched, replace the engine with one teh same model. If your engine and trans are both pooched, replacethem both with ones from the same model. If you want to do a 5 speed swap expect $500 more for parts and labor.

-Martin.

MRW, could you pleas explain what nees to be done to get a S14 KA into an s13. I’m probably going to be swapping one late this fall/winter.

While I’m at it would you recommend swapping in my s13 (I have a 91) exhaust cam?

Read the first post in this thread then ask more questions if you have any.

-Martin.

For the Auto to Manual Swap…

Transfer Engine & Tranny from
1991 - FB w/ Hicas - no abs
to
1992 - Coupe - automatic w/abs and HUD

its going to be more work but swapping the WHOLE wiring harness from car to car, will I run into plug problems? HUD plugs? Fuse boxes? etc…

I’ve already swapped the power steering pump, idler pulley and resevoir from the 92 non hicas to the 91 donar engine…