SR20DET Tech questions

OK, Some of you guy seem to have some experience with the good old SR20DET, and I need some help. I have multiple questions and I shall ask some of them here in the same thread. If you can help me out or recomend someone who can, I will be very grateful.

First thing is all the damn vacuum lines. These high tech engines have so many of them and so many sensors I can’t keep track of where they are supposed to go and why.

1. I have a bracket of sensors and such mounted to the left wheel well. One of these has the wiring harness plegged into a plug and then some wires conect to a small cylinder type sensor. It then has 2 vacuum lines connected to the same end of the sensor. One goes to the intake before the turbo, and the other goes to the intake just after the intercooler.
  2. In the same area as the other sensor, there is another small cylinder type sensor with wires attached and a small turn knob on one end. The knob turn both directions without any clicking and doesn’t thread in or out. On the other end of the sensor thing are two vacuum lines. One doesn’t go any where, it’s really short and isn’t connected to anything, and I can’t find any where it could plug into. The other line goes to the front of the engine bay and splits into two lines. One goes to the stock BOV and the other goes all the way over to the bottom, front of the throttle body.
  3. On the front of the engine bay next to the radiator on the left side there is a cylinder about 3" wide and 5" tall. It has a domed little head that pokes up from the middle by about 1". There are 3 lines connected to the top of this. One goes to the intake manifold and splits also to the fuel pressure/fuel return switch/valve. Another line goes to the intake manifold, and the last one travels to the fire wall, over the engine and down the right side under the driver(RHD) in a hard line like a brake/clutch line. And at the bottom of that cylinder there is a nipple for another line to connect but no lines around it.

Some of that doesn’t seem right. And There is nowhere around where I live to take it to a professional to look at. I know it’s hard to get a mental picture by this description, but if any of you can offer any advice or personal experiance that could help me please do!!

Thanks

I am also woondering about the larger hose coming from the back of the block into a catch can, then along the block and into the intake just before the turbo. I am assuming this is for emissions and I could remove it without any side effects? What is a good way to plug up that hole in the intake after?

Also, the spark plugs use individual coils above each plug right? And is the voltage sending unit the thing mounted to the intake manifold? There is a little turn knob on the top of it, what’s that for? What is a good way to upgrade this system for a more powerful spark?

What do the fuel injectors max out at for HP?
What’s a good upgrade for the intake piping between the MAF and the turbo?

Man I have alot of questions!!
Thanks for your help guys!

Vacuum Lines = sillbeer.COM : info : vaccum

1= i need pictures, could be an emissions thingy. But look at the last picture of the site i posted above. Boost Control Solenoid???
2= could be a manual boost controller
3= Emission crap. Vapor canister, Remove it if you want but it does basicly nothing

For your second post
The hose that goes to the catch can to the tee on the valve cover you must keep. The hose from the Tee to the intake you can cap off and use a breather on the valve cover and plug the other hole. Removine it shoud do nothing but keeping it should do nothing as well.

If you are talking about the philips screw between #3 and #2 runner of the intake manifold, that adjusts your idle and has nothing to do with spark. If you engine idles fine do not touch it. The only way to increase spark is to buy the Split Fire coil packs.

Stock SR Injectors are 370CC and max out around the 275 Mark i believe. Some one correct me if i am wrong. I know they max out on a redtop with a T28 at 14 PSI.

To upgrade the intake piping, go buy 1 mandral U bend and make your own intake. Or you can buy one from Heavythrottle for 100 USD

That’s your PCV. For 1, it helps reduce emissions and for two, it relieves pressure. If you plug that off, the pressure WILL find another way out (aka a seal). Ever see a cam seal blow out due to a plugged PCV valve? I have. It’s not pretty, or cheap.

I think he was taking about the exhaust side of the head. The hose that runs from the T in the valve cover to the Intake.

He hose for the PCV is in the intake side of the head and that must be kept or bad stuff happens.

Any idea what this thingy is? It’s what I tried to describe in my point ‘2’
looks kind of like a boost controller, but isn’t. And it turns and turns in both directions without threading in or out.

It’s the thing in the top right of that whole cluster, you can just see the top of the knob.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/b_huge/SILVIA/vaccum.gif

Any thoughts?

NO ???

got a better picture? I can’t really see what it is, it’s really dark.

I’ll see what I can do!!
It just doesn’t make sense what it’s supposed to do?

I had that thing too, no idea what it is, but I took it off lol.

So did I, as well as the boost solenoid on the ignitor bracket.

that thing actually looks liek a greddy manual boost controller.

That is an oem two way valve.

What does a 2 way valve do?

Just to let you guys know, The valve/sensor connected to the wastegate and intake and hotpipe with vacuum lines increases you boost at lower RPM’s to aid in spool up. Removing it lowers you boost and increases you spool up time. This is what my research has told me. Thought some of you might be interested.