SSDragon's updated project pics...

Hahn’s kit is the only way to go. It takes so much of the headache out of piecing together a turbo setup. It comes with EVERYTHING you need and I think Hahn warranties their parts (not 100% sure though).

I have mentioned this before, but there was a guy who bought a 2004 Cavalier, added the Hahn turbo kit and drag radials, and ran 12s—everything else was stock.

Plus the fact that Hahn is a very reputable company and they know their shit. I’d go with the piece of mind of buying the kit myself. It’s competitively priced compared to turbo kits for that car (at least it is with the Cavalier).

I see everyone’s points as far as the expense, but in this case, with an engine that is sort of new to the market and doesn’t have a lot of support, it’s just better to go with the kit from the company who has put in the r&d time to make it. I’m sure I’ll get flamed, but that is just my $.02

At any rate, the car should be pretty sick once turboed. keep it up.

waste of money. i am sure there are guys here that will smoke anything turboed bye hahn or whoever. the bigger thing is the tune

first try >*

x2

nope, wasnt me.

i know it is risky to turbo a dd. but what im trying to accomplish is to have my dd be quick for my class (4 cylinders) and stay street legal for the most part so im not worried about smoking any 10 second camaro’s or anything like that. if i can keep up or beat a stock evo or sti i will be very happy, someday a far way from now id like the car to go into the 12’s on street tires but that would rewquire alot more money so ill see where this turbo on a stock engine will put me in the 1/4. im hoping maybe high 13’s but noone really knows yet since it hasnt been done.

From first hand experience I can let you know adding a turbo to a daily driver is risky. From the factory if it is not turbo’d don’t bother until you have a shitty beater car.

dont be scared, i had a boosted daily for a year 10psi on a stock honda motor(S)…well 3-5 of them… if i babied the motors they would all still be running…went 11.87@118 on drag radials though… as for the kit, i would go with it IFF it comes with a tune. to get that thing tuned your looking prob around $500
come to think of it i tried to talk to some dude at the track with a turbo soltice or whatever i think it had a hahn kit… the dude was a total asshole so i just walked away…
go for it!@

Ya sell the spoiler for some cash for the kit… you don’t need it…

That was my point. It comes with all you need and complete instructions for tuning. Yeah, you pay for it, but in doing so, you get a quality turbo kit that a good company put the time and research into. Being that he is turboing his DD, i think the smartest thing to do is to go with the Hahn kit. Everyone has their own opinion, but you have to admit, this is the easiest and safest way for him to achieve what he wants to do.

Here is the list of included parts for the ECOTEC 2.2L turbo kit:

HRC/ Mitsubishi Super 16G Turbocharger
Oil feed and return lines
Turbocharger exhaust manifold
Exhaust Downpipe assembly
Front-mount Intercooler
Intercooler inlet and outlet piping
Air inlet system w/ filter
Silicone couplers and clamps
Blow-off valve
Upgraded Fuel Injectors
Hi-volume inline fuel pump
Fuel Injection Control Unit
All required hardware, wiring, hoses, brackets, and gaskets
Comprehensive installation and tuning manual
Expert technical support, available every weekday
Over 25 years design and racing experience
Engineered and constructed by an industry leader, not newcomers
Three-year warranty on exhaust manifold

yeah they are professionals and i trust theor work so ill pay the price, plus i have seen many people on the solstice forums using his 2.4 kit with few to no problems at all. plus with hahns baseline tune they are providing i am also going the extra step and fine tuning with hp tuners on the dyno.

and half that shit you will end up changeing and redoing and replacing with better stuff

but what the hell do i know about turbo’s

I’m not trying to second guess anyone’s knowledge on the subject of turbos. My only point was that it sounds like, for what SSDragon is trying to do, it would be a better option for him to buy the kit. As I said in my last reply, everyone has their own opinion on this.

Whether or not parts will be upgraded down the road is something he will have to decide BEFORE he buys anything. But, from his initial post, it sounded like his plan was to get a turbo kit and that was it. That is why I thought it would be a better option to buy the completed kit.

I respect everyone else’s opinion, I was just offering mine and trying to back it up with a little info.

the one thing i am concerned about is the mitsubishi blow off valve that i have seen some of the people replace with something like a greddy type s but i dont know if thats just for sound or if it works better in some way.

1g DSM blow off valves have been used all the time. Crushing the top helps it hold more boost. Not saying its the best, but its been tried and tested and works well.

Is the AEM out for that yet? I really wouldnt turbo it until AEM releases their ECU for it. At least that way you can have better control over timing/fuel. Isnt the 16g a little small for a 2.4l?

1g DSM/Mitsu BOVs have been used by tons of people. Tthey werk damn well and are fairly cheap. Crushing the top on them helps hold a little more boost.

Has AEM released a PCM for that yet? I would spring for that int he long run, better control over ignition/fuel. What does that kid come with for Fuel/ignition control? Theres cheaper ways to control it, Hell alot of DSMs and SRTs make 400-500 with an SAFC and minimal ignition control, but an NA car going turbo is different. I hope that 2.4 kit comes with AT LEAST a 20g.

The HP tuners software is way better for the application. All you do is play around with what you want to change, then flash it to the computer.

yeah its tuning is derived from hp tuners so i dont have to have any kind of extra computer hooked up to my car all the time. the kit i think comes with a 16g turbo but the details are sketchy since the kit hasnt been released yet but it should be almost the exact same as the solstice kit since we share engines. heres a link to that.

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/ProjectVehicles/New_Folder/Solstice.htm

ahhwell, dont know shit about GMs, AEM seems to be the way to go with dodge, no one has cracked the PCMs yet, or at least bothred. Whole reason I miss having a honda, Fuel management for cheap.

I think your on the right track to having a budget friendly, reliable DD. $3700 is a damn good price for all the stuff your getting.

On the other hand…

If you ever want to take it over the top, a custom kit is the way to go. We build custom kits at Domination that will out perform any manufactured kit period. It gonna cost you a bit more though. We have guys wraped up in hand making every single component. They have machines stamping things out. They stand behind their product. We garuntee damn near everything.
www.dominationchassis.com

Good luck with it.

thanks domination for the input, ive heard great things about you guys. im not looking for over the top hp yet i just want some added muscle for my dd plus some fun at the track, if i ever get around to beefing up my tranny i think hahn has an upgrade kit for over 300whp on my stock engine so that would be quite a bit of power for my little car.