State of the Buffalo Bills and WNY

I just finished listening to Ralph Wilson’s press conference.

I can honestly say that I think the single worst thing that could happen for Western New York’ fiscal resiliancy would be the departure of the Buffalo Bills. Football fans and non-fans could and should agree that one of the main fasteners of the tangled financial web of Western New York is the Buffalo Bills.

The long term ramifications of the Bills’ potential departure, whether it be 1, 2, 5 or even 10 years from now would be devastating, perhaps even unrecoverable.

Ralph doesn’t want to sell the team, but if he loses money (which the new collective bargaining agreement could cause) year over year, he will have no other choice. I honestly think that the new CBA was the worst thing that could have possibly happened for the entire NFL, not just small market teams. At this point in time, the NFL is at its peak popularity, with peak revenues, and monster television contracts. During the NFL’s top state of financial performance, they locked themselves into making approximately 60% of ALL revenue available for player salaries.

People may say “oh, well, thats 60% for 60 guys, and 40% for 1 owner, cry me a river”. Not a valid statement. From that 40% of revenue, the owner must bear ALL of the costs of running the franchise, such as administrative and accounting salaries, utilities, stadium upkeep, depreciation, advertising, employer related benefit costs, pensions, etc. People think of revenue in terms of what an NFL team “makes”; however, from revenue, one must deduct ALL costs of operating in order to arrive at NET INCOME. The owner, might end up with 1% or 1/2% of revenue in certain small market situations if he is lucky.

I would honestly be suprised if the Bills were able to make money under the current CBA.

Hopefully, time will prove me wrong. If not, hopefully Tom Golisano will throw his hat into the ownership ring.

heard it too, not very optimistic. BTW if anyone is interested giambra will be on at 2:30 on WGR 550 AM (and probably a bunch of other stations as well) to discuss.

Golisano is already a savior in the buffalo sports world…if the guy saved the bills too it would be somethin to def put in the record books…i hope he’s got enough cash left over to even be able to make a stab at owning the bills!

Who cares… I’m tired of paying for the bills…

agreed. but i generally hate professional sports.

If you hate them and don’t care then why the hell would you post in here? There’s no more post count whoring… so that cant be it.

I hope the Bills stay for a long long time. They mean alot to this area and would cause a catastrophe if they had to leave.

GO BILLS!!

im not gonna mis them

Good for you. :claps for him:

As much as I hate the Bills, they are good for a lot of things in the area. So hopefully they can keep them around.

las vegas buffalos… sounds good. stop draining western ny

Do you even know what you are talking about?

even though I’m not a football fan, I think that you’re right… the economic repercussion if the Bills move will be devastating for Buffalo…

not to mention for the ppl who rent out their front yard near the Stadium :smiley:

I think Golisano has plenty on cash left…

I smell a Jeremy Jacobs/Bob Rich/Tom Golisano group buy of the Bills

Thats my .02

i would really miss the bills if they left

haha speaking of which cooter give me a call we gotta talk about season tix

the rochester bills, i like the sound of that

I think he does. We build the stadium, we pay to fix it, we pay for the police to protect the stadium… so that some football players and an owner can make millions, and a few vendors can make a buck. Fuck em, go to another city if you like. We can’t give cheap electricty to a company that will hire 1,000+ good workers, so we must not have enough money to give more money to the bills.

They should do the owner thing like the Packers do. The Fans basically own the team. That would be interesting to look into.

first of all…i want to say being a native not of buffalo, i look upon this as an outsider but here is my .02

The Bills leaving Buffalo is not going to happen, WNY’kers would not let it happen. the entire state of NY would not let that happen. I am a penguins fan folks, so i know what it is like to talk about ur favorite team leaving town. but you people wont let it happen…
…you are easily, the drunkest, rowdiest and loudest fans(no offense intended) i have ever had the pleasure of spending a sunday with. and i am from philly, where if you don’t like the eagles/sixers/flyers you can get teh fuck out(or get beat the fuck up) and i like all pitt. teams, so i know what it is like to experience fan-dom fom the outside.
…do not worry about them leaving…higher powers will take care of things and people will do what it takes to keep them here…the market for football here is too great to let it escape someone’s greedy grasp…

…i am confident you will see this play out with the Bills being here for awhile to come. i am not sure how long that is, but someone wants to take what money is left in the WNy area, and wat better way to do it than with owning the Bills?

:word:

Me and a guy at work were talking about this the other day and he told me the NFL added to its bylaws years ago preventing a community from purchasing a franchise so no other team could be like the Packers. I guess they don’t want teams that are unable to be relocated. Personally I think it would be cool for the community to own the Bills but it’s never gonna happen.