steel roofing:

Does anyone know any good companies to buy steel roofing from? I will be installing it myself, I’m just looking for a source. Looking at about 30x20 ft slanted flat roof. Small pitch angle.

http://www.steelroofingcompaniestobuyfrom.com

^Lol

house of steel …on the 219 past springville

great place to do business, my father is building a log house and they used them for the house and the garage. they did everything they said they would and the prices were fair

Thanks, I’m so very glad you could guide me with your infinite wisdom.
:lolham:
I was looking more for local companies that you guys might have personally dealt with.

As
of now I’m thinking about going with 1) House of Steel or 2) Just Barns
The best price I got thus far is 2.10 a linear foot for a 29 gauge paint 40 year 36inch section.

So a 20x30 roof for sub $500 bucks in materials. :slight_smile: Win Win Win why doesn’t everyone have a steel roof?

lol…I wont even get into why everyone doesnt have a steel roof.

But you get what you pay for. Exposed fastener systems are prone to leaks more than a snap lock type of panel. The fasteners tend to back out of the anchor points and the only waterproofing u have around the fastener is a neoprene washer.

Also GOOD metal roof systems cost about 3x more installed then a very basic flat roof system.

I could go on and on but you seem pretty happy you only had to spend $500 bux. So I will let you be happy.

This is going onto my parents garage first off.
The metal sheets do snap together, and the screws/nails go under the snap lid things.
Why will the fasteners back out, due to thermal expansion of the metal? I don’t see the metal flexing more then a small fraction of an inch over even 100 degrees…what am I missing here that causes the downfall of a metal roof?

This is material only, and not exposed fasteners. I will be doing the labor. Enlighten me to my downfalls!

I would need to see a profile detail of the system you would be buying to tell you how it goes together.

The thermal expansion and contraction of a thin gauge metal roof is enough to make the fasteners back out. Also the deflection of a thin gauge metal is enough to tax the fasteners. Also you have to make sure the fasteners are proper for your joints and you have proper spacing. The weakest part of the fasteneres is the neoprene washers. In previous systems and less expensive systems the washers would break down from UV and erode allowing water to pass in right at the fastener point.

Also you have to be careful with capillary action of water so that it doesnt run off the edge of your metal roof and into the garage. You also have to be sure to have proper ventilation so that you do not get insane ice back up if you have a soffat edge or gutter system.

It is a flat roof and no heat. The roof will just extend over the end of the garage by 6 inches or so so the capillary effects shouldn’t prove hazardious. The profile is sort of |_____/ where you screw gets covered by a /\ shape. Would you suggest Nails or Screws to fasten it? I can’t see the thermal expansion being too strong, just as your cars hood doesn’t buckle in winter. Still looking into it a little but I think we are pretty set on getting it. Thanks for the advice guys!

Screws FTW