Stolen Military info : Found

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/29/vets.security.ap/index.html

:tup:

WTF

Considering there was no real protection of the data in the first place, I wouldn’t hold the comment of “there is no evidence that anyone accessed Social Security numbers and other data on the equipment.”

i was kind of worried about all this … good to know … kinda

ah … stupid theives are the best kind

if i was the kind of person that steals, and i stole a lap top, first thing i would do is comb thru the files for usable data and immediatly copy it, so that even if i was found with the laptop in my possesion i at least wouldnt loose the data

and af for the comment that “no data was accessed” , i would think that this is something they could easily check, considering ever file has the created / modified / accessed dates in their properties

what more do ou need ? maybe check for temp copies of the files that might be created due to copying to floppy disk or from being printed

if they didnt find evidence of the files being accessed, then id beleive they werent accessed, to pety theif has the skills to clean their tracks that well

That’s quite a few assumptions there. Granted, the law of averages points to it being a petty crime where the theif had no idea what he had… but isn’t it a little strange that a random person returned the laptop to the FBI and was not considered a suspect? To convenient…

it sounds strange, yes, but its also quite posible

i doubt the laptop was returned by the person that comitted the crime, but it could easily be a friend of the criminals, a parent, or someone who simply said “i bought it off a crackhead”

there have ben enough cases in the past when it was a parent who called the cops and said “i think my son / daughter was involved in a crime i saw on tv”

the police obviously arent going to arrest someone who wasnt involved in the crime, especialy if they can aid in the return of the stolen goods with such high value

Pop the HD out and clone it…who the fuck would know it was accessed?