STRI Digital Tach Install?

I just recently picked up an STRI 60mm Digital RPM gauge to replace my stock '90 KA-E one which no longer works with my redtop SR. I was told by the person that sold it to me that it would work by just tapping into an RPM signal off the ECU, which makes sense to me.
However, I so far, have tried looking up countless sr20 ECU pinouts looking for the tach wire, and have found a few conflicting answers… some say that it’s pin # 2, some say pin #3, but i tried both of these so far, as well as pin #1, but none have been correct… Pin #1 and 2 have given me at least some form of response, but definately not the true RPM readings, and Pin #3 has given me nothing…

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me which wire to tap into to get a proper reading for my tach…

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

nobody?.. :frowning: i miss having a tach lol…

You need to download a FSM for the Redtop SR20DET motor. It will tell you all you need to know.

well, theres only one problem with that… i can’t read japanese, and there is no english S13 redtop SR20DET FSM to my knowledge… :frowning:

bump?

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/1991_1995_Nissan_180SX_SR20DET.php

Dan,

Like I said you need to tap into your SR tach signal so make sure you have the right wire first. If that doesnt work then I would look into your speed sensor and make sure that its working because if thats not working then it means that your ECU is seeing zero rpm.

yea, like i said in my first post, i tried Pin #3 (yellow/red stripe wire) on the ecu (which is described as “Tachometer signal”), no dice… if i didn’t have my speed sensor working/hooked up properly, wouldnt i also not have a working speedo, or is that something different?

I’ll try hooking up my multi-meter to #3 and see if theres any voltage there as well later on…

signal wire and ground were used?

Im retarded, I meant to say RPM signal not speed sensor .Once you figure out your ecu pinout ensure that your rpm signal is working by hooking up a volt meter and watch for increased voltage as the rpm goes up.

Hope that helps