Stripped caliper threads

I picked up some Z32 aluminum brake calipers cheap last year, however one of the rear calipers has stripped threads where the brake hose threads in.

Would it be safe to use HeliCoil? Or should I replace the caliper (rather not as it’s powercoated and freshly rebuilt)?

Thanks

is it possible to tap it for a larger bolt?

That is what i was thinking. Just going to be a pain in the balls finding a larger bolt

probably a M12 fastener now. i have no idea if it has enough room to drill/tap to fit a M14.

Well the caliper’s setup for a banjo bolt. However I need to use 240sx->Z32 conversion brake lines and those just have ends that thread in, no banjo bolt. I guess I can get custom lines made up.

It’s going to be difficult to drill/tap the hole because it has the cone shaped piece pressed inside it to make the caliper/banjo bolt seal.

Yes I would guess a M12.

ohh, its the fluid port thats stripped, i missed that in your post. yeah thats gonan be tough.

might just be better to get a new one. Make the bad one a nice book end or paper weight

sounds like a brilliant plan… eliminates the question of whether it will become a problem or not.

Yeah probably going to have to. I’ll just use it as a core for a rebuilt one.

How about weld the hole closed, grind it off flush again, drill, tap back to M12 then use new crush washers to seal it up?

Well I wont be using crush washers again with the conversion lines I have to use.

I’ll have to look at the caliper again and see what I can do. Maybe I’ll take a picture of it as well.

yeah a pic can help. If there is enough metal to helicoil it I am sure it will be fine. Just used red loctite for the coil into the caliper, that will seal it and hold it perminatly. Pluss the steel helicoil will give you a better grip on the bolt/line your going to install after the fix.

Do I have to tap threads to put the helicoil in? I never used helicoil before, I never liked the idea of it, doesn’t seem strong enough. But in this case it might be okay.

Yeah, it has its own tap. you drill it out bigger than the fucked up threads, tap it for the coil then spin the coil in with some loctite. But then you ask your self, why not tap it for a bigger banjo or bolt or what ever an use that instead of the coil. Well the coil is steel and wont strip back out as easy as aluminum will.

i don’t think a heli-coil is going to work for a banjo bolt application

Thanks Wayne. I’ll just get another caliper.

I dunno, i dont see why not though. as far as threads are conserned a bolt is a bolt. doent matter if it has a hole going through it. lol

How much are the calipers for that beast?

Like $70 each +core. Not bad I guess.

yeah thats ok. I dunno man…

JBWELD is boss… go at it. lol