"Stunt Driving" now a strict liability offence

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=2697902

god i love communism
/sarcasm

So basically if you’ve got the latter and charged with a more serious offense, “Stunting”, you can defend yourself and have the possibility of having a charge dropped, where as if your charged with speeding, 50 over, you cannot defend yourself…at all?

If I’m correct…this makes no sense.

Let’s make laws that encourage drivers that are 50 over not to stop at all because running from the police is now the better option.

I’m claiming my pedal stuck. Corolla FTW
*but really once again we get screwed in Ontario.

my interpretation of that is that if you are goign 130kph for something reasonable that you are liable regardless of what that reason is and you’re getting a ticket on the spot and no real opportunity for defense (other than error in law or cop no-show), but that if you were travelling 155kph and you get caught you will have the right to defend it because its not just a fine you’re facing.

it seems funny to me that the distinguishing factor is not really the speed, its the level of punishment assigned.

i guess you have to set the cut-off somewhere.

So lets just say hypothetically that a corolla is driving down the 401 and suddenly it’s pedal becomes stuck and the patron behind said vehicle is at confusion with what to do. At that very moment this driver happens to pass an OPP officer performing a radar check. Clocked at, lets say, 160km/h the officer begins his pursuit. As the officer begins to pull the vehicle over it becomes unstuck and the driver of the vehicle pulls over. Now the officer being well, an officer, will have his power boots on and will almost never believe what this person is saying. Having received he ticket, the person behind the vehicle cannot defend him/herself in court now…

A far fetched situation…but anythings possible.

Now wtf does one do in that type of circumstance…an “exception”? We’re all equal…there should be nothing saying you CAN’T defend yourself.

The law is fucked. Too many holes in the system. That’s all I’ve got to say.

why are they tripping about this situation when there are bigger things popping

^^ they need money somehow.

i guess its time to stop driving… and start flying.

bottom line Ontario is becoming worse then California, in new Brunswick speed limit is 110 and not a single cop for a full day of driving of speeds over 200km even if you get pulled over doing 300km an hour it;s no more then $500 our laws here are some of the worst in all of north America, before we know it all these jdm parts and sr motors will be banned and any one driving a car with them will have there car towed to get crushed. only way to solve these is by people standing up and fighting back but nobody will and that’s whats the problem like watch now as we will have to pay to use the dvp and 400 series high ways at $5 a pop, that could run you about $20per day on average.

Or, just don’t speed???
Seems to work for me…

i didnt meant 280km/h on 401 flying. i meant flying like on sky zoom zoom flying.

im gonna move to florida anyway.

then i can ride hurricans, speed like a supra, drink on the beach, and buy ls1’s for 3 dollars.

So I wonder when we’ll get those potholes replaced with futuristic quality roads ey canada? What a wonderful government

Move.

way ahead u there bud only reason i’m in north bay, learn to fix then learn to fly, then fly back home to ireland!

Rules and laws can never be made to be foolproof. But here’s something to think about before getting all bent out of shape. Are all of you unable to drive normally and not speed? No matter what, people will always find a reason to be unhappy.

this entire law is just screwed. IT GIVES COPS TO MUCH POWER AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

I know personally. just a month ago i got the charge of stunt driving. Car impounded and the whole 9 yards. The cop had no reason at all to charge me with it, but as the law states, they can take you car on the scene and screw you over as much as they want. You cant do anything about it until over a month later on your court date ( is after they have taken ur car n drivers license)

It was a icy and snow covered morning (4in of snow @10:00am) and i made a left turn doing 35km/h where the speed limit was 50km/h. HICAS slid my back around nearly hitting the snow bank. Lucky enough i didnt crash or hit anything. Just over 2 blocks later, a cop pulls me over. That ass**** come up to the window and say " you in that shitty car with that shitty fart can of exhaust was stunt driving!" So after about a hour, tow truck pulls up and takes the car. Police say you dont have any charges as of now and need to go to court. But he took my car for the 7 days and my drivers license.

So after $700 in fees to get my shit back and $2000 for a lawyer, i have a court date this Tuesday. Looking for as many people as possible to help fight this to the end. I plan to screw over this cop and the system. SO ANYONE CHARGED OF THIS ACT PLEASE PM ME!

The system is fixed and is all about screwing people over to make money for the government.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Im with you IZZO. After being screwed with this charge, ive resorted to flying. Already have 20hrs toward my private helicopters license.

Flying is so much more fun and free. No boundaries in the air! Go where you want, when you want!

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Im with you. After being screwed with this charge, ive resorted to flying. Already have 20hrs toward my private helicopters license.

Flying is so much more fun and free. No boundaries in the air! Go where you want, when you want!

Almost got charged for stunting tuesday night/wednesday morning (1:24am…). I was driving the R32 and a car full of guys pulled up beside me at a light and stared the car down. Light turned green, the guy started no lift shifting his car… I accelerated normally (slowly) until I got up to the speed limit of 60km/h. As the maxima sped away gloriously, I happened to glance in my rear view and see a cop car following me closely. As I turned into Tim Horton’s, he flashed on his lights and got out yelling about how he was gonna impound the car and take my license for that “stupid move”. I just said ok… kinda sarcastically which pissed him off I guess and he told me to get out of the car and give him all the papers for the car. He said I was “stunting” and I was “done”. One thing led to another, and he ended up doing a roadside inspection and telling me I had “drift tires” and a “racing exhaust” and that I was a street racer and that I thought I was smart but that he caught me. Turns out he had nothing he could charge me for (surprise), so he got me with an improper horn button ticket and a warning.
Seriously, wtf? I don’t even speed, I drive like a grandma, and this is what happens? I’m buying a smart car and moving to pakistan.