Subaru guys...help

​I have a 2000 legacy with the 2.5. Recently something has been going wrong. Under acceleration the car violently shakes and barley get up to speed. Also at idle the whole car shakes and idles at like 600rpm. When revved it does smoke. I have no idea what I did if anybody has ever seen this before any help would be great. There is gas lol. It’s not a head gasket no coolant every where but possibly a misfire? I don’t know it would shake that bad. Getting plugs/ wires soon the car has 184k on it.

You checked the coolant for oil? and the oil for coolant?

What color smoke?

sounds like a misfire. start with that basics, wires, plugs. Scan it. Come back with codes.

White smoke and didnt check oil but overflow was good. And yea that’s what I’m hoping a misfire but everything ove been reading saying that shaking settles down after a few mins

+1

There could be snow packed, inside your rims…if so clean it out

It’s also cold as fuck which could screw up sensors/electronics

Yea that’s very true lol but I was freezing my ass off trying to scrape this damn shit because that’s what I thought it wa but I didn’t understand why it was revving so low

Sounds like plugs. They aren’t bad on the 2.5 but may require you to pull the battery and (if I remember correctly) shimmy the fuse box outta the way. At least it’s easier than the turbo.

Yeah doing plugs on it tomorrow. Ha wish I had a turbo

How can you tell it’s smoking with it being this cold?

Sounds like you’re on 3 cylinders. Check the oil already just to be safe. Unfortunately we can’t do these things for you through the internet. Yet…

Well this got shitty. Took the plug boots off and found tons of oil in them so either the seals suck or my rings are shot to hell. Nobody had anything I needed so waiting a few days online for valve cover gasket/plug well seals. Hoping they just are old and froze up when it was super cold

if you took the plug boots off and the plug wells were filled with oil then the internal round portion of the valve cover gasket is leaking. not bad of a fix. as the oil drowns the plug connection, it’ll definitely misfire. I had this happen on a Miata once and new wires, VGC, and plug well seals solved the problem.

Haha thanks I hope so. Ordered everything on rock auto dirt cheap

Most 2.5s seem to think head gaskets are tasty…

sounds to me like timing jumped a tooth on one of the cams

Well spent about 2 hours taking everything apart and cleaning all the oil away an such. Seems to be running good now. Waiting on new seals still