Suggest me a decent tool kit in the $300-$400 range.

I’m looking for a complete kit of tools (don’t need a box, already have one). I know for my price range the obvious answer would probably be Craftsman (something like this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934239000P?vName=Tools&cName=Tool+Sets&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets or similar).

But I was wondering if anyone knew of a less common brand that might be better quality. I have a portable kit that’s ‘Channellock’ and the ratchets and wrenches feel much better than the Craftsman ones, and when I bought the kit, it was much cheaper than anything Craftsman had comparable. But according to their website, it doesn’t really seem like they make full kits with ratchets/sockets anymore.

Any suggestions/advice would be great.

for home use, and replacement when lost/broken, sears is always open. buy all the sockets you want/need and buy the craftsman professional set of 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" ratchets. they’re a definite upgrade @ 60 teeth, and readily replaced @ any sears store. then buy a set of the chrome professional chrome wrenches. i loathe the standard grade wrenches they sell. i buy them to have ready to bend, cut in half, or grind on. if you hunt around online S&K wrenches are another option, as well as KD. all feel pretty close to craftsman professional wrenches but may be cheaper.

too be honest, I love Craftsman tools but my wife and aunt both bought me a set from Husky and Stanley. I love these things to death and havent broken a single item yet. The sets were cheap and came with a couple hundred pieces.

S&K stuff is awesome, but i’m not sure if theres any suppliers areoundf any more
J&J Tools on military moved to elicottville but i ran into Joe doing a tool routein NT a few weeks ago.

Yea, I like that the Craftsman tools can be very easily replaced. Its kinda hard to get a feel for what you get by looking at the website, and the prices vary drastically between similar sets. I guess I’ll just go to sears and see what they have in stock.

I’ve been extremely happy with my Husky tools. And they also have a lifetime warranty like the craftsman does. All you do is return to Home Depot. I think Husky, Craftsman and Kobalt all do it.

I hate craftsman ratchets…I break them constantly.

For that price range, go Craftsman.

For that price definitely go Craftsman.

id get craftsman sockets and screw drivers and go on ebay for good snap on ratchets and impact sockets and breaker bars

Hobbyist? At that price range definitely Craftsman. i recently picked up a 206pc for 115$…

while they often break, it’s quite easy to replace and if you buy the right kit, you should have another tool that can replace the broken one until it can be replaced.

anybody know of a mac tool truck up here?

I’m a mechanic and I must say that in recent years I feel that Snap-on has started to disappoint me. I broke a 3/8 Impact socket with my 3/8 IR gun the other day. I didn’t know you could break impact sockets that weren’t purchased at Harbor Freight.

yeah, craftsman are great… my dad had me take back one of HIS dads ratchets that broke (thing had to be at least 30-40+ years old), and they replaced it no problem.
I bought a bunch of craftsman stuff for my work, havent had issues as of yet.

i like my husky shit… they sell a big kit like that @ home depot. and it’s lifetime warranty
i love their sockets > craftsman… definately “feel” a lot better. get the black plated :baller:

i bought all of my tools + a torque wrench for about 275$, and it was pretty much everything i need. i only bought everything 3/8 tho, i need a 1/2 wrench

edit: oops forgot to mention… it was 199 for everything minus the tq wrench, but everything i bought was metric and not SAE, i just have garbage habor freight SAE tools because i NEVER use them ever