Suggestions on durable vacuum lines?

i’m finally gonna take care of my vacuum/boost leak troubles (among other small problems) this weekend i think since we’ll have 50 or so degree weather and i can stand working in that…and since i’ve been putting it all off way too long.

there’s way too many vacuum lines on my car though to want to do this again (since i plan on replacing all of them just to be safe), and i’m curious what’s out there other than the regular cheap rubber stuff you can buy at any auto parts store.

could i use the high pressure fuel injection lines (i’m assuming they’d be a lot less brittle than regular rubber hoses)?

is there anything else out there that anybody would recommend, that i won’t have to worry about cracking on me after a year or two of lots of heat exposure? i’m not worried about spending extra cash on high quality lines…i wanna do this as well as possible so i dont have to do it again…

They make them out of silicone iirc. I wouldn’t use fuel injection line, that would get pricey fast.

i used heater line for some vac lines on my e30 and used brass fittings instead of plastic ones. go to the plumbing section of valu.

and if you need smaller vac lines, mike at innovative sells, as he describes it, “the bomb shit y0” i quickly picked up 10 feet of it, and the bimmer is now megasquirt’d and purrs like a kitten

dave (articzap) and i were discussing possibly buying just a roll of it, or something more along the lines of bulk and splitting it since we’ll both be needing a lot of it in the very very near future…

but i’ll be sure to pull some samples off the car tomorrow or the next day, and swing by innovative to see what mike has to offer in the same widths…

just remember what goes where… when i had the e30 ripped apart i made a few threads on an e30 forum with a pic of something, and all it said was “what is this, and where does it go?” :lol:

those guys are so helpful, even if they hate newman with a passion

when i take them off the car for the sake of taking them to the store for measurement, i might just cut off the end of a part, and leave the rest there so i know where it came from…and when i’m actually replacing them all, i’m going to take one off at a time, and immediately replace that one before going on to another one…

no way in hell am i going to take them all off, then put all fresh ones on…that’d be the death of my car, since i’d surely forget where half the shit goes

yes, be sure to NOT take them all off at once and try to reconnect everything. one section at a time. unless u have a vac. line diagram

Silicone vacuum hose.

:wstupid:

i had a lot of problems with the my last 2 turbo cars that were solved by going from rubber to silicone.

word… available in all of your favorite colors too.

Can I just point out that your leak could be coming form somewhere else other than some random vac line? You could replace every vac line on the car, only to find out that one of your IC pipes is cracked or a band clamp needs a few more turns of a screwdriver…

Find out where the leak is first before you spend all this time on the little lines.

The regular vac lines on your car should last 100k+ without replacement. Just replace them with new factory spec lines if anything.

Also, search TTNET for vac line removal. There are ways to simplify the system like removing your AIV (if you still have it) and PRVR system which are totally unnecessary.

it’s leaking from just under the driver side throttle body…and it’s my understanding that there’s a well hidden vacuum line under there as well. if i get in there and find that something else is leaking, oh well. at least i’ll be confident knowing i have all new vacuum lines.

Want me to get some prices on silcone vac lines? Whats the typical vac line size anyways?

durable vacuume lines? hard lines… use some Brake lines and fittings haha

Remember; if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it…

There are only 2 in that spot that matter. This really isn’t complex seeing as you can remove the PRVR, EGR and Carbon Canister systems without any problems.

mcmaster carr sells some really high temp tubing that you can use as the hardline bits. then use silicone hose and high quality zipties for the flexible stuff.

brian