Suggestions on machine shop and hoist/stand rental?

I’m pulling my block over the next few weeks to build the bottom end and internals and bore it from 1.8l to 2.0l.
Anyone know who rents engine hoists and stands?
Anyone confident in one machine shop over any other? Preferably in the south/east.

This is going to be a whole winter project, but I’ll only need the hoist for a day and the stand for maybe a week. I may just buy the stand at Harbour Freight or something.

For now I’m sticking with the GT28RS turbo but may bump that to something larger as time goes on.

just go buy a cherry picker they re about 150 bucks…pittsburgh crank does good work but they are pricey imo

Have you priced out engine stands? I thought they were only 50 bucks?

savani machine is close to you. prob only about 15 mins away in mckeesport.

i would say buy a stand a cherry picker. you will always use them. if not just sell it for what you paid for it.

my heads actually right now in Greensburg at A-1 Machine shop, its a hike for me, but all I have heard was good things from them.

I’d also say to just buy what you need, but you can use my engine stand if you want. It should fit it in the Acadia, and I could even drop it off on the way home from work one day.

Kevin at KMP is an option. He’s done a few small things for me and others have used him. Only 10 minutes from you at Rt 136 & 201.

Here’s few threads also:
http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45269&highlight=machine+shop

http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15732

savani machine

A-1 in GRB did my motor, so they are familiar with 20v’s, plus he cleaned up my head, so he has the valve removal tool if you want him to replace valve stem seals…I have the head bolt removal tool Lee if you want to use it

Lee, you are welcome to use my engine stand if you need it…I’ll be done with it in about a week. It’s easily transported…I can give it to Val for pickup or whatever

i have an engine stand you can borrow for however long you need. I’m in west newton.

Thanks all. I sourced a hoist to borrow so I’m cool on that. Could use an engine stand but I’m going to Harbour Freight just to price them. Hate to borrow someone’s when I may be using it for a while, as this is going to be a whole winter project (although the stand may only be a couple weeks at the beginning and again at the end).

For sure on the head bolt tool. And Sonny told me about A-1 also, so I may go that route. I am doing everything on the top end, too.
Appreciate the help; I’ll post up to see who can lend out what once I’m at the point to pull the block out.

And, I’ve been convinced to switch up to a 2871R on the turbo. With the larger displacement, guys are having good success with faster spool up on it. APR has “secret” files for just such a project, also. The lead singer for “Simple Plan” had a B6 stroked and APR wrote him a file for a 2871R. Says 400/400 on the final numbers. I’d be happy with that, lol.

Lee… 'ill be at the garage tonight… we are close to you, so any tools or whatever just ask.

A1 is the place to go… turn around time is sometimes unpredictable because they get busy.

Yeah, that’s what you’d said, but I’ve got all winter. I usually don’t bring it out of storage until late April. Except last year when I took it out once in January, and then I hit a friggen’ dog. So I’ve got time.
And on the tools/whatever, thanks man. I’ll owe you beers for life, lol. I’ll need more of the “whatever” though, as this is my first build of a forced induction VAG motor, so I’ll be asking tons of stupid questions.

Oh, and did you get the winter beater yet?

it’s all good… taking the hoss man in the morning and driving to philly to pick up the new winter beater… i’ll post some shots when we return!

I have heard good things about A-1 as well …

I personally have had great luck with Greg @ GMS Racing Engines

Hoss as in Eric? Cool man. Tell him I said hey if it is. Good luck on the drive.

it is and thanks! we’ll take some shots on the way.

cant wait to see what you come back with

hoss as in elizabeth hoss drives/use to drive a hyundai? ahhh he likes me. :angel:

I won’t spoil it for him, but it’s one of my favorites. To me it’s sacrilege to make it a winter beater, because with a few mods it would be faster than his summer car.